Chapter 35 | Brutal Punishments

She was a little worried

Her hands gripped the thick brown fur of a massive grizzly bear. He had a large hump above his shoulders, claws bigger than her head, and a lowered head sniffing the forest floor.

Selene quickly realized why she felt a connection to the werebears in bear form—all of them reminded her of one word: Bjorn.

The form of a massive grizzly bear was his favourite- aside from his human body.

Ullr and Selene had spent a few days by themselves in their shared home. Her bedroom once felt incomplete, like something was missing, and she figured out that Ullr was the one missing. She never slept as well as she does when he's cuddling her.
His nightmares persisted- something that likely will continue for a long time before he's recovered from the trauma of being abandoned. She's taken the time and thought to not leave him alone for very long- consistently being either in the same room or in the next room over.

Many things needed to heal- but only time could tend to those wounds. She knew his anxiety wasn't from a lack of trust— but from fear.

Was Selene starting to baby him? Perhaps...

But he hasn't complained.

Now that a few days have passed, Ullr wants to return to the Tribe. He needed his worshippers to see his wife alive and well and pay their respects.

The winter wind whipped past her. Her long alpaca fur coat danced in the breeze- layered with a giant black reindeer coat. It was Ullr's coat, but she had the idea of wearing it so he could return it when he shifts into human form.

Her white hair was in a messy Dutch braid with three lace braids tight against her scalp on both sides of her head.

Ullr nearly tripped over himself when he saw it... he's always been a fan of seeing her in complex braids.

She lifted her scarf to cover the lower half of her face and the tip of her nose as the winter air whipped past them. Ullr was leaping through the Canadian forest with the speed of a deer and the destruction of a buffalo.

As they get closer to the tribe's heart, she notices patrols warily eyeing the passing grizzly with wary eyes and twitching ears. They were all in bear form, likely because travelling was easier, but they still showed wariness.

"Ullr," She leaned over his hump to see his drooping head.

The bear grunted above the roaring wind to let her know he was listening.

"When was the last time you... mingled— with your worshippers?" She asked him, nearly yelling so he could hear her.

There was a heavy silence. The heavy crunch in the snow from his paws was barely audible above the wind— whizzing past her ears like passing bullets.