Chapter 36

Welcome Home.

Two words Matt uttered as soon as his car dropped us off at the Miller's house. I would say it made me feel weird, or different. Well, it makes me feel different, but not for the reason you would imagine. It is because this is the first time, I am entering the Miller's household without Maize by my side. We are holding hands still, but it is not visible to the naked eye.

When we reached the living room, I noticed it is a fairly big house. Not huge like Tori and Liz's but pretty big. Matt rolled on his chair, which I am determined to get rid of. That is my mission now. Because I know he can stand and walk he just need rigorous Physical Therapy. More because he postponed it for more than two damn years. I think Matt does not want to walk again as I am sure he feels guilty. I remember in one of my sessions before the surgery my trainer said something like guilt weighing me down. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that is the case for Mattie.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice Tori and Liz. What are they doing here? I didn't know they would be here.

"Hey kiddo!" Liz greeted me. I walked up to her well limped seeing as I turned weirdly and played basketball, so I am guessing I exhausted my leg again.

"I didn't know you guys would be here."

"Yeah. Mr. and Mrs. Miller invited us when they learned we live here. Why didn't you tell me today is Maize's birthday?" Tori is looking at me with an odd expression. I am not sure if it is anger, sadness, or a mixture of both. I shrugged because honestly, I have no idea how to respond to her question.

"I heard voices." Came Madeline Miller's voice. Followed by Joshua Miller who has not said anything yet. Just gasped seeing me. "Oh my god!"

Madeline came running to me and hugged me tightly. "Matt told us you were here. I invited Tori and Liz. But I was still not sure I would be seeing you. Oh my gosh Kristina, how are you? You...you are standing? How? Wow! Come here Joshua hug your daughter."

I smiled and said, "hi mom."

"What no greetings for me, just for her?" Joshua's voice boomed through the living room.

"Of course, not dad. How are you guys?"

"We are good now. Seeing our daughter again. You have no idea how much we missed you." Tori is giving me strange looks probably cause I am calling them mom and dad.

"Sit down. Gosh you grew tall. I just need to look at you again." Madeline is fussing over me.

I sit at the couch beside Tori who is inspecting me and the scene that is unfolding.

"I am sorry Kris. But did you just call them mom and dad?" Tori finally asks me.

"Yes, I did. They were like my parents only...it was...anyways. Yeah. The Millers have always been more of a family to me than well...those guys."

"I am glad you had them growing up then. It's just a little strange hearing you call Madeline and Joshua, mom and dad. Also have you been calling them that for a long time because it does not sound a new thing from your voice?"

"Yes. I have. For about three years today." I told Tori with a sad side smile.

"Come eat dear. Call the kids they would love snacks as well." Madeline gave me a small sandwich and a cookie. She remembers. I gave her a warm smile.

"Cookie!" "Cooo-kieee." Came the tiny voices belonging to none other than Alex and James. Alex instantly ran and settled herself on my lap while James pouted.

"I see the kids love you." Joshua pointed out. I nodded.

"Yeah. Alex was hesitant at first then something happened one day. And next day Kris and Alex are like this. It's different. Alex knows more about Kris than us. Kris shares stuff about her to Alex and Alex never betrays her. Even to us. When we got to know something, Alex said she already knew, and at first, I was shocked that my daughter is hiding things from me. But then I realized they have a special bond." Tori informs them while I am munching on my sandwich. Alex is eating her cookie on my lap. James in on my side.