3

Chapter 3: Jace

This girl has been flirting with me since I sat down, and I really don't want to come off as rude, but it's making me very uncomfortable. "I...You seem lovely and all, but I...don't swing that way."

She pauses midsentence, then laughs. "Oh! Why didn't you tell me sooner? I would have stopped."

"I didn't want to seem rude."

"How sweet of you." She turns away from me and starts flirting with Jacque.

The reprieve is short-lived, however, as her place is quickly taken over by a tall man, leaning on the table with a smile. "Hello. You're very adorable. Sub?"

"I'm a dominant," I say quickly, probably too quickly. "Dominant. Like my brother."

"Oh. I am as well. That's too bad." He walks away to sit at his own table, and the small crowd around us disperses as the orientation leaders come in and start readying the presentations and videos we'd been told about.

Am I already giving off submissive vibes? It's been like an hour! I turn to Jacque, looking to see what he's doing different, but I don't notice anything that's obvious. He just is dominant, in every aspect.

But I need to at least try, so I sit up a little straighter in my chair, and try to mimic Jacque's neutral expression. I tune in to the presentation, realizing I haven't listened to a single thing being said.

"-after this to go with your designated advisors to register for classes. Dominants will go with Rachel, switches with me, and submissives with Malcolm. Feel free to grab some food and drinks on the way out."

Jacque stands up first, and I quickly follow suit, struggling slightly to keep up with his long strides. Despite being the same height, I just don't take steps as big as he does. He takes up a spot in the front, next to Rachel, and immediately begins to talk to her. This time, I don't follow him. I don't want people to think I'm clingy.

"Hey."

I struggle not to jump at the voice and look up at the person next to me. It's a tall person, even taller than Cameron.

"I'm Lucien."

"Jace."

"I know. Everyone knows."

"It's a formality, and polite. But okay."

Lucien smiles. "Ah. Sorry. I just figured...What courses are you planning on taking?"

I almost respond immediately, but then realize that will sound too rehearsed. So I pause, as if I'm thinking about it. "Basic Bondage...Communication...Biology... English."

"I plan on taking the same courses. So we can see each other more," he says, giving me a sly smile.

I hold my hand up. "I have no interest in a relationship, unfortunately."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry if that came off as rude, you're just the fifth person to hit on me and it hasn't been that long since I got here."

"Oh, I apologize. You're just very handsome."

"Thank you. I'm flattered, truly, but I am not looking for a relationship, especially not with another dominant. I have no interest in a polyamorous relationship, and would simply like to focus on a submissive once the time comes."

"That makes sense. Sorry to bother you."

Good. The less people I interact with a lot, the less I have to lie overall.