7

Chapter 7: Jace

"What's going on?" I ask, frowning at all the cars in our driveway as Hale skirts around them to park in our garage.

"A party, Jace," Jacque says flatly. "To celebrate Dad's new branch opening in Chicago."

"...His what?"

"God, you're dense sometimes. If you'd actually pay attention around the house instead of always doodling, you'd know these things."

"Hey...that was uncalled for," I say softly, grabbing my bag as I hop out of the car. I was looking forward to quiet tonight, but...Alright. I wanted to finish my drawing tonight, and hang out with Cameron to watch dumb movies. I have to ramble to him about how happy Moth seems to be, and how much they aren't a sissy, like Dad insists submissive males- well, in Moth's case, people assigned male at birth- are. I wish Dad could see them. Maybe then he wouldn't be so mean about male subs.

I've barely made it into the house when someone's arm is slung around my shoulders and I'm pulled into the living room.

"Hey, sweet boy!"

"Hi...Miss Ramírez."

She smiles at me, hands on my shoulders as she holds me at arm's length. "Look at you! You've gotten so big on me! I haven't seen you in years! Tell your dad to have me over more often, you hear me? I miss my boys. I want to come see you anytime I have time off!"

I miss you too. You were my second favorite nanny. "How's your nannying job in New York going?"

"Wonderfully! I'm their live-in nanny, but they're on vacation this week and I'm deathly afraid of yachts, so they hired a temporary nanny for the trip."

I nod, smiling at her. "That's good. I'm glad you're doing well."

She nods, then gives me a serious look. "Are you doing well? With the...you know? I saw on TV that you started at Linton. Is that going alright?"

I shrug. "It's fine, I guess. We aren't learning much I didn't already learn when I was given my 'stop it' tutoring, or my 'fix it' tutoring."

Miss Ramírez sighs, a sad look on her face. I assume, like me, she's thinking back to those hard months after people started to suggest to Dad that I was showing submissive tendencies at an early age. The tutoring had been hard on me, and useless, seeing as I was classed as a submissive years later anyway. The tutoring after my actual result didn't make it go away either.

I remember curling up in my bed next to Miss Ramírez and just crying my eyes out because I didn't understand why everyone seemed so upset with how I acted. I miss that, being able to go to people like her or Marina and getting all the comfort I wanted. All the comfort I needed.

Now I only have Cameron. I'm thankful for him, but it's not the same. I'm always aware of his disdain for Dad, and that makes his comfort feel...like he's only half-there. Only halfway paying attention to me, and half paying attention to how much he doesn't like Dad.

"Take care of yourself, Jace, okay? Above anything else, you take care of yourself. I know it's hard, but I want you to promise me that you'll look after yourself."

"I promise..." I can't look out for myself if I have to keep doing things that hurt me. "I should go find Dad...We probably have photos to take or something."

"Him and his photo ops...Alright. It was nice talking to you, Jacey." She gives me one more hug and walks away to talk to other guests while I go the other way, trying to find Dad.

He's in the dining room, loudly talking to one of his business partners.

"Jace! Come here!" Dad says, waving me over. Once I'm next to him, he puts his hands on my shoulders. "Jace, you remember Marcus?" I nod, so Dad continues, gesturing at the person next to Marcus. "This is his nephew, Kyren. He's a submissive. We think you two will get along nicely."