Little Lani

Little Lani has been unique since the day she was born but no one knew how much until she picked up a book. The strangest thing happened the day she was able to read her favorite book. After finishing the novel on her own for the first time and her mother slumped at her side after an exhausting day, she flipped back to the cover.

Bewildered, she turned to the title page, the next, and the next. She started to panic and tapped her mom's leg frantically.

Evy was used to Lani's antics as she was, though mature for her age, just 4 years old. She woke up by the third tap, gently grabbed her daughter's hand, and caressed it.

"Yes my dear," she said sleepily.

"Mama, the words," Neilani said.

"Yes Lani, there are words in this one.

Not no more Mama

What do you mean? Evy asked, fully opening her eyes now. Glancing at the book Neilani shoved in her face, she too was now confused. She had chosen an advanced book for her daughter to read in hopes she'd tire herself out.

Neilani traced her mom's family tree tattoo and her mother looked down.

Lani, what are you doing?

I'm tracing our names on your tree 'too.

As her daughter's eyes trailed over each name, Evy watched each letter dissipate. Without knowing what she was doing, she yanked her arm from Neilani panic-stricken.

Baby, close your eyes and go to sleep, she rubbed where she'd hit. I didn't mean to hit you, there's a gnat in here.

Lani climbed under the covers and pretended to keep her eyes shut.

What's wrong Mama? Where are the words?

It looks like they got erased, honey. her mother tucked her in. She turned towards the door and watched the hand-drawn family portrait Lani had drawn lose its labeling.

Close your eyes Neilani, she said and cracked the door. She speed-walked to her bedroom where her husband was waiting.

Hey babe, Evy started

What's wrong hon? Rey saw his wife's perplexed expression, sighed, and put down his book.

I'm honestly at a loss for words right now. I must be exhausted because there's no way to explain what I just experience.

What's going on Evy?

I really don't- it's about our daughter.

Rey started towards the door, immediately hopping out of bed.

Sit down Rey, she's fine. I think. It's just... look at my arm.

Where are the names on the family tree babe?

Okay, so you can see it too. Neilani erased them.

Come on now, how could our little Lani erase permanent ink?

I know I sound crazy but I promise you I'm telling the truth. Rey looked at his wife, bewildered.

So what are you saying? That our little girl can remove tattoos without a laser?

I don't know a better way to put it.

Rey and Evy stayed up all night trying to find an explanation for what was going on with their daughter but couldn't find one. They finally passed out from exhaustion with all their laptops open and 30 tabs on each of their phones trying to put a name to Neilani's ... ability.

When morning came, these concerned parents concluded their child was unique in more ways than most parents would say. Late to work, they decided to call out and keep Neilani home. Evy called her doctor and hypothetically stated her questions but received no satisfying answers.

She decided that bringing her in for a visit would raise more questions than answers and the thought frightened her. From that point onward, they decided the best solution for everyone would be to keep Neilani home.

Failing at that task after a couple of weeks, Rey came up with the idea to wrap Neilani's eyes in gauze, just thin enough she could see where she was walking. Evy took the books where her daughter unconsciously erased the words on the spines and stacked them to the side.

Trial and error with the thickness of Little Lani's eye wrap finally ended with a successful solution, having her wear shades  over them. She obviously had a dozen questions as she was forbidden from going to her little friends' houses, going to the library, or even when the time came, going to school. Without the answers, Rey and Evy could only tell their precious little one that she was special.