Setting me free.

Cale used to have a happy life, until it fell apart when his mother and father started fighting. He doesn't know why they are fighting but it kept escalating to the point his father would throw and break things. How did it come to this? What did father do to make mother angry at him? Was it father's fault that things came to this?

I used to shut my door.

When my mother screamed in the office. (kitchen)

I turned the music up.

His mother would always sing to him whenever he feels scared or sad, she told him that singing can calm one's mind and so he did just that.

Get high and try not to listen to every little fight.

'Cause neither one was right.

I swore I'd never be like him. (them)

Cale swore to never grow up just like his father. Although he doesn't know what he did, Cale sides with his mother and puts his whole trust on her. Although it's unfair for him to take on his mother's side, Cale couldn't think of what to do in a situation like this. He just hopes that they would apologize to each other and get back to being a happy family like they used to be.

But I was just a kid back then.

The older I get.

The more that I see.

Cale is now 6 years old and he is in his room grieving because his mother passed away in an accident. Suddenly, his father barged in his room and forcefully pulled on his hair dragging him away. Cale pleaded for his father to stop but the latter just ignored him.

My father isn't a hero. (Parents aren't heroes)

He's just like me. (They're)

Deruth threw Cale in an empty room and started hitting him while yelling that he and his mother were a mistake and that he shouldn't be born. Cale was deeply hurt, he couldn't fathom on why would his father say that. They were once a happy family so why did it end up like this?

Loving is hard.

It don't always work.

You just try your best not to get hurt.

The abuse was getting too much for Cale, each hit gets stronger and stronger but nonetheless he persevered. He hid all his wounds from the servants and tended them all on his own. He wants to leave his home, no, escape this hell and he'll do anything to get his freedom. His father hates him and the feeling is mutual. All this time Cale was trying to gain his father's love despite the abuse but from the looks of it, it's impossible.

I used to be mad, but now I know.

Sometimes it's better to let someone go.

It just hadn't hit me yet.

The older I get.

4 years went by and Cale was called in by his father to come to his office. Cale was afraid but he sucked it up and went to his father's office. Cale stood outside the office, he took a couple of deep breathes to calm himself down. Once he's done, he knocked on the door and waited for a response. He heard his father said 'Come in' and with that he went in to his father's office.

He saw a woman and a boy sitting on a couch and a smile on his father's face, one that he hasn't seen for so long. Deruth introduce the woman and the boy to Cale, their names were Violan and Basen. Deruth told him that they will be his new mother and brother. Cale on the other hand, has never felt so mad. His father has the audacity to replace his mother and he didn't even feel sorry! He wants to yell at his so-called father but he couldn't. Cale was afraid of getting abused again and from the looks of it, Violan and Basen doesn't seem to know the horrible things Deruth did to him and his mother. He could not fault them for it.