CHAPTER 10

Skylar

A pang of guilt fills me when I see the anger and hurt in Alec's eyes, knowing it's all my fault. The reminder of how serious he is about me and watching him walk away adds another painful kick to my gut.

Why did I have to think the worse of him?

He's been nothing but respectful and considerate towards me.

Feeling so ashamed for falsely accusing and screaming at him, I have to apologize. He really didn't deserve my fury, but as I am about to go after him, self-pity kicks in.

You're damaged goods.

Alec deserves better than you or what you can offer.

Even after he showed you his romantic side that no woman has seen, you just had to mess it up.

A whirlwind of devastation and confusion consumes me, leaving me lost and unsure of what I really want. Then a sudden pain pierces my heart at the unnervy thoughts of him cutting ties, being with someone else and not being around.

Oh, God!

What have I done?

Reality hits me hard, and it's no use denying it. ALEC GRAYSON has stolen my heart and I'm head over heels in love with him, but I just lost him. Feeling defeated, I sink to the floor and close my eyes as I hug my legs. My emotions suddenly become too much to bear and I burst into tears, my body shaking as I rest my head on my knees.

My past has been haunting me for two years, causing my fears and insecurities to sabotage any possibilities of forming meaningful relationships and preventing me from moving forward. Meeting Alec and bonding with him after he went to great lengths to prove himself to me, I believed I was finally making progress. But my vulnerability ruined my chances of happiness again.

"I'm so sorry, babe. I didn't mean to upset you," Alec's husky voice unexpectedly echoes in the kitchen. My head shoots up and I meet his piercing green eyes, which are staring down at me with so much tenderness and warmth.

I shake my head and attempt to reassure him he isn't at fault, but I can't stop crying and the lump in my throat prevents me from getting a word out. What I don't understand is what this handsome man sees in me to take the blame for a situation I created? Through the tears, my mind races with all kinds of theories until one smacks me square in the face.

How could I be so blind?

Alec has fallen just as hard as I have.

He notices my struggle and joins me on the floor, draping his muscular arm around my shoulders. I bury my head in his chest and when I'm comfortably nestled in his embrace; he rests his chin on my head and gently rubs circles on my back.

I like it here.

Alec Grayson feels like home.

We stay in silence as his warmth and the intoxicating smell of his cologne calms me.

"I don't know what it is with me," he says, when my sobs subside.

Then pauses for a moment, but suddenly pulls away and stares at me intently with those intense eyes, as if he is looking into my soul.

God, he is so damn handsome.

The way he looks at me sends a rush of heat down to my core. "But I feel this pain in my heart whenever you push me away. Somehow, it makes me go crazy and I just say things before even thinking. I'm so sorry for how I spoke—"

I don't deserve this man.

"A-Alec," I clip him, but blush as I think of my embarrassing outburst. "Don't apologize. I overreacted. Can you forgive me?"