NYC

{TWO YEARS LATER}-- [Graduation Party]--

*Vaishnavi's POV*

"Yo, so how's Miss Valedictorian planning to do after getting out of that boring campus?" Nia asked. The club music was blasting at a high volume as my best friend yelled into my ears.

"I am still deciding. You chose - Harvard or NYU." I yelled to overcome the intensity of the music. Nia was visibly drunk, and so was I. I didn't even know how I ended up drinking Vodka when I was determined not to touch it. 

"Heya! Just go to the place of your liking. I'm just going to follow you." She said as she leaned on my shoulder and looked at the dance floor filled with drunk people like us.

She grabbed another shot before dragging me with her to the dance floor. This was not in my plan, but anyway. I would savor every minute of this night celebrating, escaping that gloomy era.

We rocked along to the music as some maniacs were freshly out of the mental asylum. I watched as she went more to the left of the dance floor, away from me. Leaving me alone, surrounded by strangers.

 "Hey, hottie! Wanna join me and my friends for the rest of the night?" A random man said as his hand went to my waist while we danced.

"Get off me! Stay away." I said and tried to yank his hand away, but quite the opposite happened. Although the mask theme was enough to mask our identities, I felt exposed. No one ever tried to touch me like that.

"Awe! Someone has the guts to say that to the future owner of this place. Let's see if I will listen to Miss Sexy Body." He pulled me by hand. The force made me realize how drunk I was. Grabbing the opportunity, I kicked him where the sun didn't shine and moved in the opposite direction through the crazy crowd.

My vision blurred for a minute as I walked to the front of the washroom. I opened my eyes to look around for anyone. I walked into the bathroom only to regret it.

A couple was eating one another in one way or another. I turned to use one of the stalls, but as soon as I closed the door with a bang sound, the couple was doing that shitty thing against the same door I closed. 

"Hottie inside wanna join? It's fun, isn't it?" The man outside was making me feel nauseous, and the girl was moaning too loudly. All this had to happen today only? 

I pushed open the door and went from there. As I left the washroom, I spotted Nia flirting with a guy. But before I could step forward, a hand came into view, hindering my movement. My eyes scrunched to look at the person as a bit of dizziness seized me.  

I took a wilting step backward as my back hit the cold wall. I sensed the hand being placed beside my head, and view of the person came into my sight. He came a bit closer before looking into the bathroom.

I tried to leave, but he stopped me by keeping his other hand on my waist. I was astonished by the move. It would be an understatement. He slid me in front of him with just one pull before he looked into my eyes.

"Sweetheart, you should not be going around places such as these." He leaned closer to my ear, "I don't want my baby girl to witness things I would do to her." I gasped at his statement. Who exactly was this perverted man? I turned my skull to look at him, but he wore a mask.  

"Who are you? Get off me!" I tried to set myself free from him but was unsuccessful. 

"So eager to get rid of me?" He chuckled. "I see you don't get me, do you? Ah. You're drunk." My vision blurred again as his face came in front of mine. I could feel his being so close to me. Do I know him? Why does he feel familiar? 

"...Only if you would," I didn't listen to anything he said before this, but his eyes gave me the feeling that I had known him for a long time. 

========

"Wake up and shine, Miss Valedictorian! We only have three hours to get ready for the meeting." Nia said as she undid the curtains to let the sun's rays enter the room. Not any room, MY ROOM! How did I end up here without a trace of memory? My head ached.

"I must say. You have an amazing apartment." She turned to look at me, and I burst out laughing. Her Surma was all around her eyes. 

"I still can't believe we are in NYC just to enjoy the graduation party. And say thanks to me that you could go to the club. It's still two months till you turn freaking 18!" She stopped to take a deep breath and continued, "On this account, you should call me... Never mind, we are the same age." I shook my head, but regret took over me way too fast. 

"Here, your hangover drink." I took it and sipped. Urg! It's so bitter. "You look better with your natural self."

"Had you have yours?" I asked as she nodded and showed me a dress before she went in to change. 

'I would lie to the whole world if you keep placing your hands there.' A voice rang in my head as I kept the bowl on the side table.
'My baby girl.' 

If not the drink, then this random and weird voice would surely give me a severe headache. Why did it sound familiar?  

"Vaishu, how do I look?" Nia said as she showed me her formally casual dress. Should I tease her? Yes, I should.

"Breathtaking. Just as in, you would take Rohan's breath away." I said as her cheeks caught the bright pink color. "Heya! S-stop." She stammered. Awe! My blushing cat.

"Okay, fine! Now, out of my way. If you would allow me to take a bath, Milady." I said as she burst out in giggles. "Keep giggling, like he-hehe. I will come in a few minutes." 

=====

"Here they are! My champs!" Our headmistress said as she pulled me and Rohan into a hug. She is sweet but a bit intolerant sometimes.

"I am overwhelmed." She whipped her tears with a napkin, "You children are leaving the school premises so soon." She sniffed. Urg! And then blew her nose right in front of us. Yuck! 

I smiled rather awkwardly. "Mrs Bist, don't you worry, we will visit sometimes. Obviously, as alumni." Someone in the crowd shouted. All the high school graduates were accompanied to NYC for a graduation party. And, of course, the main event would be in India only.

"Okay, so now, attendance time." One of the teachers said as all the students in the back booed. Seriously, I am also bored of the same roll call. 

"Hey! We should stay back. You already have an apartment here we will enjoy a little more." Nia said in my ear as the teacher took the attendance.

"Not my, but of our family. And no, we won't stay back." I replied as her face showed disappointment. 

"Why?" Such a baby she is. 

"Because no one would take the degree for you. You will have to take it yourself." Her face became even more sore. I could barely control my laugh.

"Nia. Nia!" The teacher said as her roll call came.

"Present mam. Sorry." And after that, she fell silent. She gave me a sidelong glance since I could have remained behind, and no one would have stopped me.

"Present mam!" I said as the roll call ended. I was usually the last person called on, which was excellent and horrible. 

"Let's go," Rohan said to me as he acted indifferently toward Nia. "Yes, let me j-" Before I could say something or call upon Nia, he dragged me inside the airport. 

I glared at him all the time. How could he? He held my hand like someone possessive would. He is possessive and protective and has grown even more in the past few years. And I have not even the slightest idea why. 

"Speak," I said as he stopped, and I bumped into someone.