-Prologue-

I stand up on my surfboard as I begin riding a wave. This is freedom, I think to myself. The wave swallows me up as I fall off my board, laughing. I'm wearing my favorite orange bikini and my wavy brown hair is tied up in a messy bun. I swim back to shore and stare at the sunset as the orange sun hits the horizon. 

Hi! I'm Lily! I'm 16 years old and live in a coastal town in California. I spend most of my days down at the beach alone or with my best friend, Chloe. It's the end of summer, which means that I'm going to have to go back to school soon. I've been surfing ever since my dad taught me when I was little, but sadly he passed away. After my dad passed, my mom became very aggressive towards me, making me do all of the work around the house. While I'm treated like a slave, she treats my older brother, Ian, like the golden child. It's easy to tell who's the favorite. I love Ian. He's always taken care of me when my mom didn't. He's practically like a parent to me. Because of my mom's behavior, I'm rarely at the house. Instead, I go down to the beach to calm myself down. The beach is one of the only things that makes me happy in life. I used to be a very happy kid, but I've struggled with my mental health over the years-especially after my dad died. I can barely stand my body anymore. I've cut myself before when life gets too rough, but Ian's always been there to save me. He's one of the only things keeping me alive at this point. 

(Kinda what she looks like)

Anyway, no more of the depressing stuff. Right now I'm living and that's all that matters. I'm sitting on the beach reading a book and making friendship bracelets when I see someone surfing in the water. As the figure gets closer, I notice the most beautiful man I've ever seen. He's super tall and has great muscles, really tan, and most perfect hair I've ever seen. 

(Kinda what he looked like)

Once he made it to the shore we made eye contact. He looked at me with these gorgeous greenish-blue eyes and smiled as i looked up at him and did a small wave. Suddenly I felt really embarrassed. I was making friendship bracelets all alone with my hair all over the place while wearing a bikini i probably looked HORRIBLE in. My face turned red as I tried to look cool and he just chuckled quietly to himself. I looked up at him and gave him a small smile.