Chapter 1 - The First Day Back

I stepped off the school bus and felt a knot instantly form in my stomach as I looked up at the sprawling, four-story red brick building in front of me that had tall, white pillars and large arched glass windows, letting out an exhale and shaking my head in disbelief that summer break was already over and I was already back here again. It was my senior year and I had been going to Lake Forest Academy in Seattle, Washington since 7th grade, but even after all those years, I still felt like an outsider that didn't belong there.

It was the most prestigious private school in the Upper Northwest and most of the other students were spoiled, rich overachievers with extremely demanding parents that were constantly pushing their kids to be the best. They paid almost fifty grand a year to send their kids there because it had a thirty percent Ivy League acceptance rate. My Mom didn't give a shit about any of that (or me). The only reason I went to Lake Forest was because my grandpa had been a faculty member before he passed away, so I got free tuition.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and headed towards the big old sycamore tree on the front lawn of the school, where I spotted my three best friends sitting in the grass. We had been meeting up there every day before school for the past three years.

I plopped down beside them under the shade of the tree and let out a deep exhale, looking up at the bright blue sky above us that was full of white fluffy clouds.

"Can you guys believe we're really Seniors? This our LAST first day of school before we go off to college," my friend Caitlyn said with a sigh, shaking her head.

I sat there trying to wrap my head around it. Just thinking about it being my last year at Lake Forest with my friends was really weird.

"Yeah," I sighed. "The sad thing is, I'm probably the only Senior here that's still riding the bus to school."

My Mom couldn't afford to buy me a car and I couldn't catch a ride with my friends because they lived all the way on the other side of town and thought it was too far to come get me.

"Speaking of which, how was your bus ride in this morning?" Caitlyn asked me with curiosity.

I turned my head and looked over at her. "Do you REALLy have to ask? You know how much I loathe the bus."

"Yeah I know. But why? It can't be THAT bad," she said dismissively, like she thought I was exaggerating.

I scoffed. "Hmmm. Well, let's see. Today I got stuck sitting next to a red-headed, pimple-faced freshman that started hitting on me. When I very politely turned him down, he got all offended and told me I'm gonna end up being one of those crazy cat ladies that knits sweaters and is a virgin til they're forty."

Caitlyn and Dominique busted out laughing and I narrowed my eyes at them.

"Forty!" Jasmine scoffed and I thought she was gonna defend me and say he was wrong. "Nah, I'm thinking fifty AT LEAST."

I gasped and smacked her arm, before reaching over and tickling her sides until she squealed and begged me to stop, while the other two watched us and laughed.

Then I sat up, catching my breath for a minute before I hesitantly asked them with a pout, "Do you guys REALLY think I'm gonna be a virgin til I'm forty?"

They all looked at each other and then looked away, obviously not wanting to answer my question. I let out an exhale, shaking my head.

"Okay, I mean, I know I don't put that much effort into my appearance, not like you guys do, but am I really THAT bad?"

My three best friends were arguably the most beautiful and popular girls at Lake Forest Academy. From the outside looking in, I didn't fit in with them at all. I was honestly surprised they'd give someone like me the time of day, let alone invite me into their group and become my best friends, but that's exactly what Caitlyn had done back in the 8th grade when she saw me sitting alone at lunch.