Chapter 9. Just Hang On Tight

Trigger Warnings: Very brief gore

"Are you trying to make me deaf?" I shout. A bullet ricochets off the back of my motorcycle, making me wince. My baby is a part of me, and when something hits it, I can feel its pain.

"How else do you think I would react?" Jennie yells, clinging tighter to me.

"Not like a cat about to die!"

"Well, I am about to die! Oh my god!" she shrieks. Another bullet whizzes by my ear, hitting the pavement beside us.

Serena is a highly skilled shooter, so it's only a matter of time before she hits one of us. And my biggest concern is Jennie. If one of those bullets pierces her back, she's as good as dead. The jacket may be “bulletproof”, but only against the average gun. Serena has her own special weapon the same way I have my knife. And hers is a golden Staccato CS enhanced by Lena, which can penetrate any “bulletproof” fabric, even ones designed by KSD.

An idea pops in my head. It may be reckless and insane, but judging by the bullets flying all around us, it's the best chance I have to keep Jennie safe.

"You have to switch to the front, Jennie!" I shout out loud. Glancing back for a brief moment, I twist the throttle a little more to speed up.

"What?" Jennie squeaks as another gunshot rings out. "Are you crazy? That's impossible!"

"Nothing is impossible with me.” I definitely got this, even though I've never done it before.

Jennie tightens her grip around me. "Cocky much?"

"Do you want to stay behind and get shot? Come on, twiggy. You're as light as a feather. I won't drop you."

"That's not reassuring at all!"

"Do you trust me?"

"No!!"

"Good, now put your arm around my waist while I do the same, then let your body go before swinging your leg back over. Got it?" Tightening my hand's grip on the handlebar, I manage to wrap my other arm around Jennie's waist.

"No, I don't-"

"And go!"

I force-lift her off the seat. She screams as her feet almost kiss the cement. The motorcycle wobbles a little. Her hands apply heavy pressure on my wounded stomach as she holds on to my waist. Grimacing through the pain, I focus on regaining balance and not letting my grip on Jennie slip.

"I got you, Jennie! Now lift your stupid leg up!" Another bullet flies by and shatters the left side mirror. Bits of glass explode into the air, a few tiny pieces piercing my face. I curse under my breath at the damaged part.

"I... I can't!" Jennie screams, attempting to swing her leg over the seat.

My arm strains to hold onto her flying body. Serena is slowly gaining on us. It's now or never. But when I'm about to yell at Jennie again, doubts and questions flash through my mind.