Abhi's Prologue

"Abhi go into your room," Mom says as soon as she hears the front door open. It's an obvious sign that my father is here. I quickly run in and the screaming match starts. Mom screams at my father that he's come home drunk again and the man who is supposed to be my father just lets out drunk grumbles. I'm so familiar with this scene. It happens every day and I wish it would stop.

They argue for about ten more minutes before Mom walks into my room. "Abhi, you're going to Kochi, Kerala," she says. What the fuck-. "Why?" I question back. It's all I can think of saying. "These fights, they aren't good for you mentally and this boarding school will help you get away from all this. It's a fresh start". A fresh start sounds nice but there's something that worries me. "But then what about you Mom" she gives me a soft smile. "I've had a job transfer to Hyderabad so I'll be fine. I'm sending you to Kochi so I can get a fresh clean start and not drag you into the issues of fixing myself and maybe this is better for you too." She replies and I look at her. Trying to find a hint of anything other than strength so I can help her.

My mom was the strongest person I've ever known. All in all, she was a warrior. She was brave and strong in situations that would probably make someone else crack and break down, yet she was there, standing resiliently holding her battle and protecting me. She taught me to conquer what I feared and stay true to what rights I believed. She felt like the embodiment of Durga Mata - my favorite goddess.

Mom suddenly hugs me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I'll be okay, and so will you," she says and there's comfort in her voice. I nod at her trying to hold a smile even though she can't see it. We let go and she kisses my forehead before making her way out of my room "You leave tomorrow at seven." She says and exits my room.

╰──╮・ꕥ・╭──╯

I couldn't sleep. All I could do was think about my life. Every moment and every memory came flooding in, even the ones I wish I could forget.

The beautiful memories made me feel a bit bad about leaving. Like how mom could spend hours watching me play the guitar, eating momos while coming back from school, doing cool tricks on my skateboard, or playing basketball. I loved this. But some memories were haunting and if I chose to forget them, I'd have to forget six years of my life. It's crazy how you could live in a world that went from rainbow to color and you wouldn't even know when.

Kolkata was beautiful. I grew up here, I spent most of my life here. I've had every black, blue, grey, white, and rainbow memory here. Mom did have a point though. Maybe Kochi would give me a fresh start. And when I finally calmed myself down I drifted off to sleep.

╰──╮・ꕥ・╭──╯

I woke up at eleven in the morning to a pile of white uniforms resting on the bedside table. There was a small note on it stating how these were my uniforms but to pack a few casual clothes, that there was breakfast in the fridge and money for lunch on the counter, and how she'd be back at five to take me to the airport. I smile. Mom always thinks of everything.

╰──╮・ꕥ・╭──╯

I finally landed in Kochi after waiting for around eleven hours. It was an excruciating six hours of me quickly packing - I finished packing in an hour - and playing video games the remaining time. Mom then came home to pick me up at six and now here I was finally. Mom's flight was an hour after mine and she already landed in Hyderabad.

I walk out of the airport to see the school's bright blue logo acting as a lamp in the darkness. It didn't intimidate me, instead made me feel a bit braver about my situation. Maybe this was going to be the pure and well-needed fresh start I'd hoped for.