chapter 1

although frankie was thankful dakota was joining her, she was still overwhelmed by a multitude of emotions surrounding her return to michigan. fear was a part of it, but excitement and guilt were too. running away from luke meant leaving behind the rest of the hughes family, and those summers she cherished so deeply.

over the past couple years, the only 2 people (besides family) to consistently reach out were ellen and quinn. ellen really enjoyed checking in on the girl, sending her photos she thought were funny - or recipes she thought the girl would like.

quinn was like the older brother she never had. he was protective, caring - don't forget annoying either, but he was the reason frankie never felt truly alone.

everyone was really glad to hear how well frankie was settling into university, and how quickly she made friends.

frankie was glad too. she was eternally grateful she never had one of those awkward periods of adjustment, which was all due to her now roommates; DK, lia, and rory. the three were already friends when they spotted the brunette girl sitting alone in the lecture hall. somehow the three instantly knew how great of an addition she'd make to their little group of friends.

but back to the present - michigan!

frankie and dakotas flight is tomorrow morning, they'd be arriving around 12 pm, after a long 12 hour flight (and a 5 hour setback due to time zones) which neither of the two were excited for.

dakota was eager to meet her family, especially her little brother danny who was now headed into sophomore year in highschool, but he was also excited to see the property she always spoke so fondly of.

he recalls her telling him about times she pulled all nighters just so she could watch the sunrise, or boat rides with the hughes family and the boys' hockey friends.

he was also prepared to knock some sense into luke if need be - but don't tell frankie that.

he'd been told about the 'cute shops downtown' her favorites including icecream, a cafe with parisian details and foods and a stationary shop which he was excited to see.

during all the chaos of planning this last minute michigan trip, frankie had long forgotten about the scheduled release of her album titled "closure", she was thankful for her PR team as she wouldn't be able to post about it since it would be released during her flight. she had recently finalized the track list last month, with titles like:

stranger
so highschool
feels like
so long, london
camden
scared of my guitar
teenage dream
pretty isn't pretty
i should hate you
wishful thinking
rockland
closure
hope ur ok
peace
full machine

these songs came from the soul, written over the past couple years, these songs have aided in her healing. and although she's never explicitly said who they're about - the ones closest to her have a sneaking suspicion.

before frankie could once again be sidetracked by some prior thought or memory, she heard a ping come from her phone

tesco 🥣
raisin bran : rory
special k : dakota
lucky charms : lia
frosted flakes : frankie

raisin bran:
hiii since kota and frankie leave tomorrow i was wondering if u guys would wanna go out to lunch today and then later we could order takeout and watch new girl or a movie !!