第九 | NINE

if u want faster updates...comment more 😛 (also character appearances are available! Check the first chapter!)

.

.

PAST

When Claude became Emperor, someone asked him a question.

Haven't you already gotten everything you ever wanted? Why do you look so terrible, Your Majesty? It was a question out of genuine curiosity—almost out of concern, for the nobles and the imperial court could see how pained the newly crowned emperor was—despondent, listless, dead. Claude had taken a while to answer then, for all his mind could do was replay memories of you.

"No," Claude whispered, and the official blinked his eyes in surprise. "No. But I once got very close."

And wasn't that even more painful? To nearly achieve something then having it slip away at your fingers at the last minute? It was far worse being so close to something and failing, than simply not achieving.

"Ah..." The official had been at a loss of words. The Emperor did not say anything after that, and merely moved on with his duties, immersing himself with work in a robotic-like manner. He seemed like he was simply...living. Carrying out the daily routine without even thinking.

Another rumour flitted about.

The Emperor's beloved advisor was killed. He was stabbed, they said.

Stabbed?

Yes. But before that it seemed he was hurt on multiple occasions, which rendered his body weak. It seems his family and the Augusta Family contributed to that. And there was the occasion with the elves, too—the Aricen Family tried to help him, but it was for naught.

What was his name?

Y/n L/n, I believe. But it is strange. Though they were glued to each other, it seemed that His Majesty wasn't the most fond of him...

A case of regrets too late, hm?

.

.

PRESENT

"Did you hear the news?" You raised an eyebrow at Claude, lightly nudging him.

"What?"

It had been a while—about a few days, maybe a week—since that conversation. You had treaded and tiptoed around that topic because you had learned Claude had become sensitive to it, but now it was time to address it. You hadn't accepted the proposal—you had simply left it back inside your drawer, and had done nothing about it.

Yet it seemed that Arthur Seraphim was willing to visit the Empire to talk to you.

...I've only ever met him at the ball, right? So why is he showing such interest? It's odd.

You cleared your throat. "It seems His Majesty will be paying us a visit."

"My father? Why would he do that?"

"No," you said patiently, as you started to avert your gaze. "Arthur Seraphim. King of the Northern Kingdom."

It was amusing to see Claude's facial expression change so fast. For a split second you almost saw an emotion that could have tied to jealousy—but then that emotion was lost and replaced with careful indifference.

"...And why is that?"

"He is here regarding the marriage proposal, I suppose," you murmured. "And it beats me. If he wanted political ties, he could have asked several other people. I hardly think he's offering marriage for power."