UnPrelude 1: The Beginningtitled Part

(Miklaus)

Eight ball left corner pocket.

Clank

My pool cue struck the center of the off-white cue ball, sending it rolling towards the black ball near the end of the table. Another clank on impact and the eight ball rolled right for the and it hit the corner of the aged green felt next to the hole.

I heard a stifled laugh behind me and turned to my friend, Reiji. His hazel eyes were wrinkled with laughter, his freckled complexion emphasizing the reddening of his cheeks from the numerous drinks he had downed so far. Besides those physical signs it was hard to tell he had been messing around for the better part of a day. His clothes were still well-kempt, his auburn hair short and tidy with a clean shaven face. If he didnt keep to himself so much he would easily fit in anywhere.

The table must be off-balance I joked.

Sure, he shook his head.

He reached for his pool cue that had been set on a supporting pillar for the basement but found nothing.

Huh? Where

A shuffling sound behind us drew our attention and we looked towards the basement fridge to find our other two friends. Hikarus was struggling with Reijis pool cue to try and get a six pack off the top of the fridge with Heaven cackling on the ground behind him.

Having been unfortunate enough to be the short friend, Hikarus was always victim to being messed with like this. Not that he let it get to him, in fact he used it as justification for his own pranks that far outnumbered anything we pulled. You could say his short stature was deceptive, underneath that mop of black hair and tanned baby-faced complexion was a cheat code of a brain. Throughout high school I had never seen him study, he had even set up elaborate tricks in his room to pretend to be studying when his parents checked up on him, yet he never got anything wrong. If I didnt know any better Id have to conclude he was cheating somehow.

Reiji walked over to help him like the good mom-friend that he was for us. I thought he was going to put a stop to it, but I guess I underestimated just how many drinks he had consumed. He picked the six pack off the top of the fridge and handed it to Hikarus, but instead of moving on he ruffled his already messy black hair and said.

There you go little guy.

Hikarus rolled his eyes but still accepted the beer. He headed for the couch followed by Reiji, who had apparently forgotten about the very exciting game we had just been playing.

Heaven had collected herself enough to get up in that time. She sat next to the two of them and looked extremely focused while trying tame her curly red hair into a ponytail. She was rather tall and boyish in shape, so pale youd worry about sunburn the moment you walk outside and had dark green eyes that looked almost brown in the shade.

She noticed my gaze and beckoned me to join them.

Come on, Mik, we have just enough bottles left for all of us.

I cant, you know I drew the short straw this time and am driving us back to the dorms tonight, I reminded her. In fact, we have to leave in a couple hours, why dont you guys get showered so I dont have to smell just how much you drank without me?

Faster than I thought was possible, Heaven dashed off the couch and ran up the stairs. I call first!

Oh! You surprised me, Heaven. Where are you running off too? I heard my mom ask from atop the stairs.

Sorry Mrs. Baxley, Im gonna take a shower before we head off in a bit.

Alright, at least take one of these cookies I was going to bring down for you all first.