When I woke up, there was no one in the room with me. Just this empty space, void of any pictures or memorabilia. It made my skin crawl, even in the sunlight. What had Vine's days and nights in this room felt like? Had it been like this, without comfort or little joys, for the past seven years?

I would have to talk to Valentine to understand what had really happened back then for him to clear out the whole room.

My lips curled into a smile, as I turned around and got a whiff of Vine's scent from the white pillow. Even if he wasn't here, our talk was still fresh in my mind. We were on the same page – mostly. However crazy that seemed to past Jamie.

I got up quickly to wash my face in the basin on the wall and slip back into the jeans I'd stripped out of to sleep.

The sun had passed its zenith, so I must've slept past noon. Despite that, I didn't feel any sluggishness. Every cell in me was aching to run out the door and find Vine. I didn't even care what we would do once I found him – we could've peeled potatoes for all I cared. I just wanted to spend some more time with him.

A few hours later, however, I regretted that thought entirely. I was no outdoors person. Neither camping nor glamping had ever won over the comfort of my couch and if someone had asked me two months ago if I wanted to spend my free time between mossy tree stumps and gurgling brooks, the answer wouldn't have been favorable.

But when Vine had asked me to stay and tag along on his patrol through the forest, I'd jumped on the opportunity to delay my return to the city. Moreover, the hike had promised to give me some time to prepare for meeting the other wolves and explaining the news.

How would the alpha react to a human being bonded to one of his closest? I knew little about Neal apart from his polite manners and friendly demeanor towards outsiders. Even Caitlyn's stories couldn't be trusted; after all, they were mates, and he was bound to act differently with her than with the others.

My gaze wandered to Vine, who seemed to be in a good mood. He was strolling rather than marching, doubtlessly so that I could keep up; the broad shoulders were relaxed with his arms dangling by his side. When he noticed me checking him out, he raised an eyebrow and smiled mildly.

Could he be different around others?

Just as I was thinking that I noticed him slowing down to match my pace again.

"I'm okay", I murmured a little out of breath, "and this is more insulting than if you just ignored my struggle."

He shot me a guilty look. "It's not that. I just thought we could do with a little break."

"I'm fine", I insisted with rising stubbornness. Even though I spent my weekends on the couch instead of going on hikes, I wasn't ready to admit that I was getting tired. We must've been walking for two hours at this point and the forest ground was as uneven as changing in texture. "I'm just not wearing the right shoes for this."

"You're wearing sneakers."

I hadn't expected him to question my declaration, so I made an exasperated motion.

"Of course it was an excuse. You don't have to point it out though."

He chuckled quietly as he held out a hand to help me step over the knee-high half-circle of a root.

"I want to rest. Is that okay?"

With him phrasing it this way, there was nothing left for me to do, even though I could feel he was lying. There was nothing tired about him. Despite our long night that had ended in a quick nap on the couch for him, Vine was positively beaming with energy.