The mansion was brimming with life and laughter, even though night had fallen when we returned. We'd stayed out for a couple more hours, talking mostly. Now we were close to entering the pack's mansion over the veranda looking at the forest. The trees threw deep shadows over our path and the distant cry of owls was heard once in a while.

I felt inclined to call back and ask for a ride away from this place with every step we took towards the building. My steps even got smaller the closer we got.

"You know that this evening changes nothing, right?", said Vine as soon as he noticed my hesitation.

I grimaced.

"No, really. The other's opinion has no influence on how I think about us. And even if they try, they can't touch fate", he insisted, without looking at me. His gaze was directed at the door in front of us.

That was nonsense in my opinion. Of course, he'd doubt his decisions if the complete circle of his friends and family reminded him of who he was entangled with. The constantly hungover, out of control human which Caitlyn had adopted to keep her from spiraling into addiction.

How should they believe in us when that's what they saw in me?

"You promised me you wouldn't run."

"And I won't", I replied defiantly. "It's just ... I know that they weren't always kind to Caitlyn when she first arrived."

Our shoulders stuck to each other as we entered the living room through the large glass front pointing towards the garden. Kicking of our shoes, I realized that the people weren't even looking. Most of them were busy with their soup or deep in conversation.

Just when I'd thought we'd be spared some sort of special treatment, Valentine came running. Vine's tall blond cousin had his forehead in wrinkles as he held out a hand towards me.

"Let me take your jacket, Jamie."

He was hanging over me like a wailing willow and I blinked, but the illusion wasn't fading. Valentine was actually trying to be helpful – a thought which would've been unlikely on any other day. The alpha's beta usually made a point out of being an annoyance to anyone who made the mistake of standing in his vicinity. I would never understand how Neal could appreciate his company.

"I can ... uh, thank you", I stammered, as I slipped out of my bomber jacket. The difference to his usual behavior was enough to knock me off balance.

"Did you come straight from the city?", he asked in the politest tone of voice I'd ever heard from him.

"No, I ... tonight, I actually stayed here."

"Really?" Valentine's gaze shot from me to Vine, who raised his shoulders in a helpless motion. "Then you must be looking forward to dinner. And don't worry about returning by car today, you should stay here. I'm sure that Vine would be thrill–"

"This is an ambush if I've ever seen one." Freya had seemingly appeared out of nothing and snared an arm around her mate's middle. Even if her voice had been playful, her movements reminded me of a large cobra on the hunt. "Poor Jamie hasn't even fully come inside yet and you're stressing her out already."

Turning to me, she added with a dramatic eye roll: "It's his nerves. Don't mind it if you can."

His nerves? I nearly laughed. If someone had reason to be on edge, it was me, not the alpha's right hand.

"But now it's time that he sits down and lets you arrive in peace. Don't worry, I'll take care of it."

And Freya kept word. Without letting go of her mate once, she navigated to their places at the long wooden table, where the others had gathered. The table was bending under vases filled with wildflowers and fragrant herbs which upgraded the old-fashioned porcelain service in use.