Chapter 1

The first day of school is always the worst. You have to lug all of the new supplies that will be ruined by the end of first quarter to a locker that is going to give you trouble the whole year. Walk down the hall with the zombified stares of every other teen that would rather be home asleep or still awake from the night before, the night that was filled with video games and junk food. Some people psych themselves up to see their friends that they haven't seen since school ended, but truth be told if they missed those friends as much as the show that they do they would have picked up the phone and texted them in the three months of freedom that they had.

I am not fooled by the colorful back to school signs or the fake smiles plastered on the faces of the teachers that are just as irritated that the first bell will ring this morning signaling the start of another year of grading papers and back talking from that one jock that never seems to want to shut up.

In my case that one jock I happen to live with. My brother Nixton never wants to shut up and the one time he does is when he is shoving his face with the brand new groceries. When I walk downstairs after grabbing the maroon book bag that had been laying on the floor of my room the past week and shoving the colorful notebooks and folders in the open flap at the top. I head down stairs to grab a breakfast bar and soon seeing Nix appear with one toaster waffle in his mouth and another in his hand. I grab the granola bar out of a jar that sat in the middle of the island that was placed in the center of my kitchen. Cleverly I walk around the island to avoid getting in the way of Nix who was heading once more toward the refrigerator to grab who knows what.

I grab the keys hanging by the door shaking them to signal for my brother to hurry. I shake them again after he didn't come the first time but there still didn't seem to be footsteps coming toward me. "Nix if we don't leave now you will be late to see Lacy," after getting his attention with the name of his over obsessive girlfriend I shook the keys one more time and headed out the door towards the car.

I drive a cherry red Mini Copper with grey interior and it is the love of my life. After parking at the end of the parking lot, again I grab my book bag out of the back seat and start the long trek up the school parking lot, dodging the screeching cars coming at me by drivers that either just learned to drive or are to tired to pay anymore attention to what is in front of them.

The sight of the hallways that have kept me wrapped in its arms the past two years has changed in only one category, Cleanliness. You could tell by the fresh scent and vibrant colors that the school had just had a deep cleaning before all of the students destroyed everything in their sight.

Walking into my homeroom I see everybody in my grade with the last name A-C. My last name happened to be Ashford so I take a seat at the back of the room hoping that the teacher didn't put us in order by last name, forcing me to claim a seat somewhere else. I see that their is a new student that seemed to be making friends with some of the other students that sat towards the front of the class ready to get their schedules and head to their first class of the day. I personally would rather sit here in home room where no one tended to bother me and I was aloud to sit and read or doodle but soon enough there was a new stack of papers sitting in front of me and once I heard everyone else start to startle next to me I realize that it was time to move. Throwing the papers in my bag I stand and start walking towards where my first class was.

This went on for several hours. The teacher with the fake smile comes in and presents them self to the class and hands out papers telling us to read over them and to sign once we have done that. Then, while the teacher is still talking, the class starts to whisper. The whispers get louder and louder as everyone tries to stay quiet but still get their point across. The teacher gets upset and the process starts all over when the bell rings once more.

I went through the day with only seeing Gray once at lunch. Gray was my best friend that I have known basically my whole life. She was my neighbor for the longest time till she moved a street over, her parents telling her that it was because it was cheaper to live there but in reality we both know it was that her parents and my parents don't have the best of relationships.