Dream Girls: Nicole Chapter 1

Hey guys! Just a little note to thank you for reading the Dream Girls series! I hope you've enjoyed the journey of these three best friends! Hopefully, the ending lives up. <3 

"I can't believe I'm actually doing this," Piper said, standing in front of a mirror in Moye's old bedroom.

"Believe it. In ten minutes, you will officially be Mrs. Moye McKenzie!" I said.

Stephanie squeezed between us, looking depressed. "Ugh, my boobs are too big, my feet are too wide, and my belly is ginormous. I look like a stuffed sausage!"

"Shut it. You're pregnant and adorable. At least you don't look like you should be dancing for singles somewhere," I added, tugging the top of my dress up.

"Nic, I would not put you in a stripper dress for my wedding. You're one sashay away from showing me up," Piper said, fixing her lipstick.

"She's right, Nic. You look freaking amazing. And Pipe, you look as beautiful as I knew you would." Steph smiled.

"Girls, I love you both." I hugged each of them. "This is exactly how I pictured us five years ago, helping each other on our wedding days."

We held hands as we made our way out to the barn. I was so nervous because I had to walk out first. I hated being the center of attention, and there was no way every person in the chairs on either side of me wouldn't look at me as I walked out. I couldn't imagine how Piper felt being the bride.

As the music started, my stomach was in knots, and I regretted not listening to Corey's advice to take the shot of tequila he'd had ready for me earlier. I wasn't a big drinker, but certain situations called for drastic measures. The only reason I hadn't done it was because my dad was in the audience.

I scanned the crowd as I took my first step. All I could think about was walking slow and not falling. Every face I came into contact with had a wonderful smile plastered on it, putting my nerves at ease for a little bit. My dad looked handsome in his suit. I wasn't used to seeing him dressed up. In fact, the last time I had seen him dressed like that was at my mom's funeral. My brothers sat next to him, and they both grinned at me as I made my way down the aisle. I couldn't tell if they were trying to help alleviate my anxiety, or silently making fun of me. Knowing my brothers, it was probably the latter.

As I approached the altar, I thought maybe it wasn't that bad. I was almost there. I had obviously psyched myself out, as per usual. I looked up to see Moye. He was so excited, like this was all he'd ever wanted. I was so happy that one of my best friends had found her soul mate. She deserved it.

Next, my eye caught Cole. He looked as calm as ever as he waited for his future bride, Stephanie, to walk down the aisle behind me. He smiled at me, but his gaze quickly found hers. Last, I glanced at Corey. I didn't even realize I was still smiling until I felt my smile give way as I took in his facial expression. He wasn't smiling, not even a smirk. He looked so serious; his eyes were intense. He didn't look angry, but he definitely wasn't happy either. I had no idea what to make of it as I stepped over to my spot, to the left of where Piper would end up.

Wow. That really took the wind out of my sail. I didn't know why he always ended everything on a sour note. Every time I thought I was making headway with him, he ruined it. Now I felt self-conscious again. I gripped the flowers in my hand so hard, I was surprised they didn't snap in half. Even though I could feel his eyes on me, I didn't look at him again as I waited for Steph and Piper to join me.

Stephanie glowed as she made her way down the aisle. She only had eyes for Cole. He never took his gaze from hers either, even during the ceremony. Anyone with half a brain knew he was thinking about their own wedding coming up. Corey even had to nudge him when the pastor asked for the rings.