CHAPTER: 2 | THE WEDDING (PART 2)

On Laiba's insistence, the wedding was planned to be small, intimate and private in the Ahmed Residence.

The outdoor patio was set up for men and the drawing room, for women. The wedding decor was kept minimal with delicate white flowers and lanterns.

Although the guest list was small, the names on them were anything but that.

Haider Ahmed, being one the top names in the business world, had invited some well-known faces to the wedding. They were members of billionaire clubs and VIPs, owning estates more than anyone could even imagine. Running multinational companies, law firms, hotels, hospitals, industries, institutions and corporations. They weren't exactly celebrities but they were no less than one. Whether they liked it or not, they were a source of income for some of the media companies who had taken a special interest in their glamorous lives.

And among them, were the Othman(s).

Like Haider Ahmed, this family was known to have not compromised on their deen. The men of the family had earned every single penny in a halal way and never taken or paid riba in their lifetime whereas the women of their family had somehow managed to keep themselves away from the spotlight.

Othman(s) ran an Islamic Organisation, a community of wealthy Muslims who work for the welfare of people of all religions.

In addition to being Yusuf Othman's friend, Haider Ahmed happened to be one of the members of the organisation.

This family had graced their presence at Laiba's wedding(who didn't even know they exist).

Alhamdulillah for things that happened and most importantly, for things that did not happen__”

Upstairs Laiba was unaware of the storm that was brewing in her life. She picked up the call after pondering over the number. She stayed quiet and waited for the caller to speak.

At first, there was only heavy breathing on the other side and then the person spoke with a rasp voice.

"You thought you will get away with it, huh?"

Laiba's eyes widened with recognition, her back turning rigid.

"And you thought I wouldn't know?" The man's venomous voice continued.

Every bone in her body felt like collapsing to the ground.

Two years.

Two whole years.

"I curse the day you were born." He said it with so much disgust that Laiba involuntarily took a step back as if he was spitting the words on her face.

She couldn't speak.

She couldn't open her mouth.

She was dumbfounded.

Tongue-tied.

"I curse the day, the hour, the minute.." He paused and she closed her eyes shut, painfully. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks. "..the second you were born." He said it with so much hatred that her heart ached in agony.

"I'm ashamed to be your father." Venom was dripping from each of his words.

I can't believe you steeped so low," He took an angry breath and continued. "Licking rich people's feet and being their charity case."

"ABI," The accusation felt like daggers, stabbing her heart.

"What are you saying?" She mourned, hurtfully.

"You think I don't know that you have been living off your friend's money these two years, pretending to be Haider Ahmed's daughter? Do you think I wouldn't know if you changed cities? I will find you even if you go and hide in the depths of hell!"