Prologue

I fiddle with the string coming from my sweater sleeve as I sit in my shrinks office. Dr. Olsen is still talking but I'm tuning him out. 

Your parents didn't send you here to ignore the guy, Aria. They sent you here to stop lying.

I roll my eyes at the thought. They really don't think I've tried? I honestly can't stop. I've been making an effort for years now, but it honestly hasn't been good enough. There's a name for people like me. Compulsive liar. Doesn't that just roll off the tongue nicely? My shrinks must think so, they say it all the time.

What causes your compulsive behavior, Aria? What made you become a compulsive liar? Do you feel that you are compelled to lie? 

Every shrink says it, in some variation of the word. I am a compulsive liar. So I can't just stop lying. It doesn't work like that. I wish it did though.

"Aria!" Dr Olsen says sharply. "Am I boring you?" Shoot. I must have sighed.

I sink my head. "No sir. Please continue."

He glares at me. "As I was saying, I think it would be beneficial for you to keep track of your lies. That way I can gauge how often you lie at the moment, and for you to have some record of your progress." He pulls out a drawer and rummages in it for a second before pulling out a notebook. "You can write down each of your lies in here."

What, like a diary?

I must have said it out loud because he smirks. "No, like a book. Think of it as your Book of Lies."