Who Are We?

So what is #FreetheMuslimWoman all about?

Ever heard the statement, "muslim women are so oppressed?" 

How about, "Islam gives women no rights?" 

Or even, "why are you wearing that thing on your head," and "you should take that off?"

Perhaps you've heard things much worse than any of the above statements. But even if you haven't, then know this: these are real words being said to Muslim women on a frequent basis. These are the things that people say about us and our religion on social media. The same ignorant statements that fuel hate crimes against us and make us fear for our lives every day. 

Sure, many people aren't used to seeing women wearing a headscarf or dressing modestly. There are many people out there who know close to nothing about Islam and women's rights. Societal standards have been altered and the concept of wearing more clothing has now been looked down upon, and seen as "inferior" to wearing less clothing and showing off more skin. A woman with her body fully covered, walking around in a western country is easily seen as a fish out of water, but instead of being left alone and respected for her choices, she is harassed and criticized and looked down upon by the citizens of that country.

The purpose of this movement is to spread awareness about common misconceptions and stereotypes that have long surrounded Muslim women, and to educate people about their culture and religious beliefs. 

Just because a person is different doesn't mean that she is a threat. It doesn't mean that she should be looked down upon and treated any differently, and that's precisely what this movement is here to showcase.

 It doesn't mean that she should be looked down upon and treated any differently, and that's precisely what this movement is here to showcase

To learn more about how you can participate in this movement, go ahead and read the next chapter :)