The Crusade of Filadin Mirthonir

I was told tales, legends of old, about gods descending from the sky to greet my people, to guide us to better mornings and soothing eves of distant lands where mountains would shield us from the unknown fiends lurking in the darkness. They foretold of places where the trunks of teeming trees would be as large as the body of a tower and there would be water, mighty river clashing down with the roar of thousand voices as it went down the fertile, green fields. Need for hunger would bother us nevermore, for wildlife will be plenty and my people shall live on.

Whether the tale of Filadin Mirthonir, son of Horthorion is true I cannot profess, for it happened far before my time began to flow onto this world and before my people came from the distant shores and raised the walls and towers of the great Kalathor. Three thousand years ago according to the Gelithic Calendar, if my judgement is right and these old pages I have gathered throughout my life reveal the truth behind the heritage of mankind.

Two-hundred years after the great Cyliad, a wise man with a Norrimian heritage, found the written letter of the Common Tongue... of course, he belonged to no kingdom during his life for there was none... but after planting the first written letters, my people were met by a most, strange being, more wondrous than anything they had seen before.

It resembled a man, and yet, it was nothing alike. The old testament speaks of a tall creature, wreathed in sunlight and warmth that gazing upon him for a longer time would blind ones' eyes. A most peculiar crown of diamonds and runes covered its head, its peaks touching the skies of heavens and its hands covered the two hills - Baelon and Viaenthir of Läa Ridha - or the Ageless Lands as to be known in later ages. My ancestors tell of a long scepter, a staff of gold and diamonds on which the being leaned over as it bent its face towards the tiny men below.

" Hail, lateborne, sons of light! As a new dawn emerges and a sun rises once again, your path of destiny shall be revealed" the being uttered, its voice thundering like a storm in the ears of the mortals. " Fear has no place in your hearts, for I am Ru'annath, lord of hope and truth, and I will show you the way in forging the future that you deserve. Nurture, admire this land, this gift that we have given you. Cherish its beauty and you shall be more powerful than ever before! The Holy Pantheon watches over you". And the men knelt in awe, fear and respect. They raised temples in the name of the Gods, working for eighteen years to honor the power of the eighteen divines. Priests were chosen, the wisest among the people, who shall spread the word of the Holy Pantheon and arrange holidays on which every God shall be worshipped and provided gifts. And these eighteen years, the first city of men - Bruinon was built beneath the mountains of the Ageless Lands.

And Ru'annath, Syladin Erthulian, the Messenger of Light, swooped down from the clouds once again, proud of what mankind had done and he smiled.

" Noble are the towers of your city, grandiose are the walls that you have built. But, your path of destiny does not lie in the corner of Nordenheim" the great God replied. He thumped his great scepter and seven stars shone on their faces, like fireflies of divine light which lanced on the sky and Ru'annath uttered one last time: " You shall be led to promised lands of great beauty where mountains are many and trees are great, where water crosses green fields and stone is plenty. There you shall find peace and prosperity and your race will flourish". And the God smiled upon them.

But, his words summoned doubt and confusion in the minds of the puny mortals. And the union that once was, now clinged on its hind legs. Quarrels shook the old kingdom, escalating into misunderstanding and wars. The undivided folk were shattered and the promising nation turned into imagination. Seven factions now shared the streets and districts of the great Bruinon, each of them following its own beliefs, tradition and interpretation of the holy words.