Chapter 40 | Listen To Me

The child was huddled on the sled in the blankets and thick coats Selene had brought

With unwavering gratitude, the caribou had stomped on the reigns and stared down the goddess with want. Vor wanted to pull the sled.

Considering her hooves and sturdy body would be excellent for pulling heavy cargo, Selene had wrapped the ropes around the reindeer's front armpits and fastened them tight. They didn't have a proper carriage saddle, so what they had would have to work.

The white wolf was walking behind them- guarding their rear. Its limp had since faded, now wrapped with bandages, and it helped that it was a considerably tough wolf.

Striding alongside the sled, the kind woman smiled at the warm child, "What's your name?" She cooed.

Glancing up at her with his innocent burgundy eyes, he hummed, "Hrotho."
[Blessing.]

She held a hand over her heart, "What a sweet name," She grinned widely, "It suits you well, Hrotho."

As they trudged through the snow, massive Canadian pine trees passing them by, she stopped when she heard the subtle movements of tiny paws from behind. The snow was disturbed from below, dense enough not to be picked up by the strong nose of the white wolf.

In a flash- something was crawling up her trousers.

Selene yelped and jumped, patting herself down as tiny claws used her as a miniature climbing pole. "What in the moon's name?!" She gasped.

Everyone stopped. The Caribou whipped her head over her shoulder while the white wolf jogged up to Selene.

A fluffy pelt rubbed against her skin as it reached her neck- circling it before latching its maw around her ear lobe. She winced and swatted at the creature.

Peeling it off her, she held it out with both hands.

Flailing and growling between her hands was an awfully familiar weasel with bright cerulean eyes and a temper that could best Thor.

Selene sighed and held the weasel close- tightly hugging his tiny body.

"Oh, I'm so happy to see you!" she breathed with relief. "You were right. I shouldn't have gone out to find that cub... I should've used my head."

The weasel huffed against her chest and squirmed, clawing at her pelt and climbing onto her shoulder.

Sniffing curiously, the large white wolf recognized the Mustela as not being a threat.

He huffed at her, "You have no idea what trouble you're in," His heavy baritone voice echoed through her mind, "Half the time, I couldn't even find you because of my own blizzard! You're lucky I turned into a hawk."

Selene scratched behind his ears, forcing him to lean into her touch and squint in bliss.

"I had a feeling you were the golden hawk," She told him, "Why didn't you come with me in the first place?"