Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

No. I clearly hadn't learned my lesson.

I was standing stock still in my front door frame, slowly rising to the bait that was the temptation to have more information thrown at me.

I should walk away now... I thought. I don't want to know anymore... I don't want to know... I don't...

"Don't call me that." The words blurted out of my mouth, and I couldn't stop it. It was like trying to keep in vomit.

"Why not?" Clockwork inquired, and I could tell, even if I was facing in the opposite direction to him, that he was smirking; the thought made the putrid word vomit clog in my throat again. "That's your name."

I whipped around to face him, my eyes wide in a borderline death glare. It was either he didn't notice my expression, or he didn't care. Either way, he was treading on the wrong path.

"That is not my name. I don't have a name."

"But you do," Clockwork countered. "That was your name... When you were still human."

I stared suspiciously at him. Was he being serious?

"Danny." I tried it out; looked at him pointedly. He nodded slowly. I raised an eyebrow. "Really? Danny."

"Or Daniel. Whichever you prefer." He was smirking again and even though it still irked me, it wasn't annoying me as much as it did three minutes ago.

My tone was flat now. Almost dead. "Why are you telling me this?"

"You wanted to know, didn't you? Besides, it would be a bit pointless sending you to the human world with no name."

My eyes widened. "So that's what you... Wait. You're sending me to the human world? Why? Won't it be worse if yet another ghost enters their world? You know, tip the balance and all that?"

"It won't be. Not if that ghost will fit in with them."

"With who?"

"With the humans."

This confused me even further. "But Clockwork, I'm not human. Ghosts are not human."

"And here in lies my proposal, Danny."

That name. He called me it again. I shuddered when I heard it, but it seemed he wanted me to get used to it. Great. I interrupted him. "Look, Clockwork, if you're going to call me that... I mean, come on, I must have a last name."

Clockwork nodded. "Your family were the 'Fentons'. They have a reputation as crazy ghost hunters in your home town."

I ignored the crazy comment, and assumed he meant my old home town. "Which was?" I asked.

"Amity Park." He replied with a smile. "That's where the ghosts will come out in after the portal is activated."

I looked down in thought, then my head snapped back up again. I put two and two together. "Wait. The portal. It's them who are building it, isn't it?"

Clockwork nodded. He knew what I meant. My old family... They were trying to build a portal to the Ghost Zone...

"Why though?" I asked. I almost felt hurt, then I realised that theoretically, I never remembered meeting them. I had no idea what they were like.

"I have good reason to believe... They are building it because of the same reason they became Ghost Hunters in the first place."

"And why's that?" I said impatiently.