Chapter 1

My life has changed forever. As any other day, I woke up to a very rainy day; it rained a lot in England. I ran downstairs and asked Margret, my maid, to pour me in some Sunnies. Sunnies is my favourite cereal, father buys them for me, and they are carefully shipped from North America to England.

Father was acting peculiar that day, his face was pale as snow, and he didn't greet me with a hug and a kiss and a "morning son!" as he did every other day. As Margaret gave me my cereal, father sprinted to the kitchen and shouted, don't eat that! and poured my Sunnies back into the packet with the milk still in it. I gasped in confusion. He told me we need to save our food, but when I asked why, he completely ignored my question.

Later, that day, I had just finished my clarinet lesson. Mother assembled a Family conference. when I arrived, father was looking bloodless and refused to make eye contact with me. Mother, who was troubled and agitated began to explicate why father had been acting unusual.

"Olly, Father has made a silly mistake. Nevertheless, whatever the consequences are, just remember that mother and Father still love you".

"okay" I spoke. Out of nowhere, bizarre questions flooded my brain.

What was the silly mistake? What consequences did we have to pay? What was so important that mother had to assemble a family conference? Why am I feeling so anxious about something I know nothing about? Has someone died? Why has father refused to speak to me?

"What had father done?", I asked.

Pardon!, mother said alarmingly.

"What was the silly mistake father had made?, I glanced at father. Finally, father vocalised for himself. He had told me that he had done something very silly. I started to feel very irritated. I did not want to know if the mistake was silly or not, I wanted to know what the mistake was. Father told me that to keep this lovely house you need to pay the bills once month, but I havent. Due to father not paying the bills, the government has to abduct our house and money.