A story as old as rhyme

I remember my nanny telling me all these stories about soulmates and it made me wonder about mine. What would he be like? Would we have a lot in common? Is he kind?
There is one story that I particularly remember it was because the story had an open ending.

~flashback~
"Once upon a time there was a princess with long and beautiful hair that finds her soulmate. The princess loved her soulmate but they were from different worlds so her parents wanted her to marry the kind and well mannered prince that came from the same world as her. She refused to marry the prince as she loved her soulmate. The prince wasn't evil or anything but he just wasn't her soulmate. Her parents putted her on an island away from her soulmate, her parents would only get her off of the island if she chose to marry the prince. The princess refused and longed for her soulmate, he was also looking for a way to get to her. The princess jumped in the cold water and swam towards her soulmate as she was done waiting and just wanted to be with him. The princess her hair held her back she always got stuck in it so she decided to cut it." My nanny used to tell me.

"Then what happened? Did the princess make it?" I asked while looking at my nanny with hopeful eyes

My nanny put the blanket properly over me and said. "That's up to you. What do you think that happened?"

"Hmmm I think she made it to her soulmate and lived happily ever after" I said in confusion

My nanny looks at me and says. "Not all stories have happy endings dear." This one sentence always made me think and doubt. Did the princess really make it to her soulmate or did something happen did she perhaps drown or did it not work out between them, so many endings to just one story.

~end of flashback~

This story changed my view in many ways. I used to look at the world like people fall in love just once and stay together forever but that story made me realize life isn't like that but I should have seen that earlier I mean look at my parents they are in an arranged marriage and yes they are very happy together and mom constantly tells me that you can learn to love someone over time and that I shouldn't look for my soulmate and bring my hopes up cause it might be very disappointing. while thinking of my soulmate the necklace with the little heart shaped charm appears in my hand. The arrow points away from me. I take a quick look in the mirror to see how my brown curly locks fall right over my shoulders.

"GRACIE! HURRY UP WE'RE RUNNING LATE!" My mom yells from downstairs. I quickly finish getting ready and hide the necklace in my drawer. I wanted to hide it in my corset but if my mom would find it she would get pissed that I'm thinking about my soulmate again. She would give me this lecture about how my soulmate could be a complete douche and that he would take advantage of me.

I take a deep breath before I walk downstairs.
"I knew it. You look dashing in that dress." My mom says as she fixes my hair. The maid gives me my coat since it's pretty chilly outside.

I get in the car and ask my dad. "Father where exactly are we going?" My dad signals the driver to start driving and smiles while he says "we are going to have dinner with the Crosby's tonight."

The Crosby's own a big juwelry company and they ship their products with our company. They have a son who is slightly older than me. We used to play together when we were kids. It's been ages since I've seen him last time.
We're probably going to celebrate their latest project or a new one, the last one was a great success.