Just Listen

**This is a scene I wrote before James Patterson published the final novel in the Maximum Ride series, which is titled Nevermore. I wrote this scene for fun and I picture it would have been a scene between Fax in the book. Enjoy!**

"Fang!" Max yelled desperately; snapping her wings open and soaring up into the night sky after him. She couldn't believe she has been so stupid to have let Dylan do that. Yet how was she supposed to know Fang was watching, or even still cared?!

Fang soared higher and higher, but she could catch up, she had the power of speed that he didn't. She immediately felt the rush of the wind whipping her hair and the chill as it hit her face. She almost smiled, but her eyes were locked on Fang. She soared faster through the air, almost as fast as light.

Max rammed into him, knocking them both off balance. Fang did a back flip in midair and balanced himself as Max did.

"Just leave me alone Max!" Fang's face showed no emotion, but Max heard the anger and hurt in his voice.

"I can explain Fang." She pleaded, reaching for him. He glared at her, moving away.

"I don't want to hear it." He sneered and folded his wings inward, diving down into a nearby forest. Max groaned and followed.

She came in too fast, though, and crashed through the trees. She landed in a bundle of bushes. Flying into a forest full of trees from five to six hundred feet in the air? Not a good landing. She stood up, brushing herself off and picking twigs out of her hair, all while scanning the perimeter for Fang.

Max spotted him. He was sitting on a bolder, which was perched on a cliff. As she stared at him, he seemed to almost blend into the night. That, of course, was not surprising. One of his powers was after all, to be able to disappear or blend in with the darkness.

Slowly in and out, she breathed. Then she carefully and quietly climbed up to the cliff. If Fang hear her or knew she was there, he didn't acknowledge it.

"Fang just hear me out, please." She pleaded once more, her voice a soft mummer. Fang was silent. She was afraid she wouldn't have a chance, and was about to give up. Then he spoke.

"I don't know why I want to hear it, but like I told you forever ago... I just can't say no to you."

Max sighed in relief and faced Fang. He stared at her with black, desolate eyes.

"Dylan kissed me, and I kind of kissed back on a spur of the moment thing, but how is it any different than you kissing Maya?"

Fang pondered the question and his jaw tightened. "It just is."

Max groaned. "No it's not!"

Fang jumped up, annoyed. "It is. Because when I kissed Maya, I was thinking of you! Not her, you!"

Max shook her head, confused. "But she's not me. Why would you think of me, but kiss her?!"

Fang clenched his and unclenched his fists, trying to relieve some of the frustration. There was an edgy tone to his voice when he spoke. "I don't know. All I know is I saw her standing there all bruised and roughed up after the fight and I thought of you. I though of how even after traveling through sewer, killing your half brother, and getting the crap kicked out of you by mutant freaks; you still manage to look beautiful and strong." The frustration drained from Fang's and his expression as he stared at Max, changed from anger to longing.

"I was reminded of the girl I fell in love with...and still am in love with..." Fang added softly. Max took a minute to comprehend what all he had just said.

"What are you trying to say Fang?: Max's heart started that annoying , where it seems to beat so loud in her ears, yet no one else but her could hear it.

Fang closed the distance between them, drawing Max to him.

"I'm trying to say that I love you sweetie." Fang smirked. Max's heart ached, because the only other time he had called her that was in the note, when he had left and split off from the flock.

She couldn't help saying it though, for she was obviously still in love with him as well.

"I love you too Fang..." She whispered. Fang smiled, which caused her to smile. She hadn't seen the smile of his that she loved in so long. Softly he pressed his lips to hers and they kissed. And not some quick kiss, but an actual deep and lasting kiss. They stayed like that, fang's hand entwined in Max's hair and the other on the small of her back to hold her top him; and Max's arms around Fang's waist.

The moment seemed so perfect, and for one Max didn't wish to run away. Sh wanted this moment to last forever. Cause if it could, then maybe Fax wasn't over yet and maybe they would still be together forever and live happily ever after; just maybe.