Back To Dimension 42-Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"So, what the hell does this thing do anyway?" Marty McFly ran a hand through his hair, watching as Doctor Emmett Brown bounced around a computer-type of monitor that flashed and beeped. A rainbow of colors seemed to indicate something good, because Doc's grin only tripled in size. He hopped over to Marty and sat him down in a high-backed chair.

"This thing," Doc gestured wildly at the large monitor. "Is a dimension telescope."

"And a dimension telescope is...?" Doc scrambled with some wires, almost tangling himself. He plugged something in and handed Marty a pair of headphones. Bizarre looking headphones. They had big red lights on the sides, and by now Marty did think Doc had rather overdone it with the lights. It was like the crazy Christmas house on the corner or something.

"The dimension telescope," Doc began as Marty cautiously slid on the headphones. "Is going to show us the other dimensions!"

Marty raised an eyebrow as Beethoven tinkled softly in his ears. Doc snapped on goggles and stepped behind the monitor, hands on several dials.

"Other dimensions?"

"Yes! Our dimension is surrounding by parallels and other worlds, times...dimensions!" Marty had to laugh. Doc's hair was a crazy mess, and his goggles were askew from all of his bouncing. He certainly was energetic today.

"So, this machine is going to show us another dimension? How?" Marty questioned curiously.

"We are living in the 42nd dimension, as I like to call it. There is a brainwave that is nearly undetectable on the 42nd level of my dimension scale, and I believe it is the undercurrent of our universe running through our heads!" Doc cranked the dials wildly.

"If all of my calculations are correct, this machine will project the brainwaves emitting from your head on the 42nd level onto that screen there," Doc pointed at the blank white canvas across the room. "And we will be able to see into another dimension!"

"Like a movie?" Marty suggested. Doc grinned.

"Precisely like a movie! Let us begin!"

Doc began cranking things, and tapping in numbers. Marty gripped the chair's armrests. Another dimension? What would it look like? Would the people be able to see them too?

Would the people be...aliens?!

"Ready, Marty?" Doc looked up. They held each other's gaze for a moment.

"Ready Doc!" Marty yelled over the increasingly loud noises emitting from the machine.

"Dimension Telescope is a go!" Doc yanked on a lever and the Beethoven music pulsed in Marty's ears. Not exactly the ideal soundtrack for this particular moment.

Marty felt a faint pressure in the back of his head. The music thrummed and all of the lights on Doc's machine began to flash together. One flickered, and a fuzzy image projected onto the white canvas. Marty and Doc strained to make it out. Was that a street?

The machine increased in power, the image got clearer, and everything went black.