Survival Of The Fittest

CHAPTER ONE

"Are you Louis?"

I lift my head and see a guy dressed in some sort of hospital-medical outfit. "Yes I am," I stand up and try to compose myself. I've been crying and stressing for too long. I still feel bad for leaving Tommy with the lads to come here. They insisted, though. So here I am, crying in a waiting room, waiting to hear if Tianna is even alive. It's been eating at me since she didn't answer me on the phone. That was over an hour ago.

"I am Richard Wesley. I was one of the EMTs that helped transport Tianna here," he holds his hand out for me to shake. Now he's got my attention.

"Is she okay? Or- I should say- Is she alive?" I bite my lip. Of course she isn't okay.

"Her heart is still beating, if that's what you want to know. She is in surgery to get the knife out of her chest right now," he answers.

"Do you think she's going to live?" I ask.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know much. I'm just the transportation. I'm really not supposed to be here right now," he scratches his head nervously.

"Then why are you here?" I ask, feeling confusion overpower my sadness. My concern and worry for Tianna is still above all else.

"I just wanted to tell you something," he licks his lips, his eyes darting around.

"What is it?" I am trying not to be rude. This guy is getting on my nerves. He's barely giving me any information.

"Well, I helped transfer her into the ambulance. She kind of came to for a second. She was mostly moaning and grunting out words we couldn't hear. But at one point she became comprehensible. It was barely anything. I could pick out the words, though. It sounded like she had said, 'I'm sorry. Louis. Tommy. I love you.' It was kind of staggered and choppy, but that's what it sounded like. I think she just really needed you to know that she was sorry and loved you. She passed out for good after that. Her heart rate slowed right down and we almost lost her. I think she had given up. I'm sorry. I wasn't supposed to say that," Richard raises his hands in surrender.

"'I'm sorry. Louis. Tommy. I love you.'," I repeat softly.

"Yes. That is what it sounded like," Richard nods and looks around warily again.

"Thank you. That means a lot to know those were her last words before she-" my voice cracks and I can't speak anymore. I feel a sob coming on.

"I'm sorry," Richard attempts to comfort me with hand on my shoulder. I look into his eyes to see a dull hurt. He doesn't understand, though. I want him to. I want him to understand why I am crying. Why it is acceptable for me to blubber like a baby. I clear my throat.

"Tommy is our son. She loves him so much. We love her. Tianna is a big part of our lives. I love her so much," I feel my throat close up to prepare for a sob.

"I'm sorry for prying, but are you two married? I didn't see a ring," he is prying. I don't care. He is very observant to notice the absence of a ring on her finger. That is obviously not the first thing most men would look at. Or paramedic, in this case. It is kind of a minor thing in this situation, from what I understand.

I know more tears stream down my face as his words actually hit me. Married. "I- we were at the movies. I was going to propose after dinner," I say quietly as my voice cracks.

I now see the connection in his eyes and on his face. He's got a girl he loves. He knows how bad it would be for her to be taken away when you were going to pop the question. "I'm so sorry. It must be terrible. I can only imagine what you're going through right now," he offers me a tissue and I accept it. I look at him again. "I'm sorry. I've got to go. I don't want to lose my job. I really hope Tianna gets better for you and Tommy. Hopefully you can propose some day. It will be a happy day for you," he gives me a sad expression before turning and disappearing around a corner. He didn't even look back. I am sure I made a dent in his desensitized armor.