Chapter 5

Y/n's POV

As Professor McGonagall guided us through the intricacies of transfiguration, the classroom buzzed with excitement. Today, we were tasked with transforming animals into water goblets—a feat that still elicited awe from the younger students.

"Could I have your attention please?" Professor McGonagall's authoritative voice cut through the chatter, commanding our focus.

"Right, now today we will be transforming animals into water goblets," she announced, demonstrating the spell effortlessly with her own owl.

The second years erupted in amazement, their eyes widening at the magical transformation before them. However, for us third years, the spectacle was nothing new. We had already witnessed such transfigurations in our previous year.

"Now it's your turn. Who would like to go first?" Professor McGonagall inquired, her gaze settling on Weasley.

"Ah, Mr. Weasley" she called, prompting him to take the lead.

With a determined expression, Weasley brandished his wand, ready to perform the spell. However, his incantation seemed to falter, resulting in an unexpected outcome. Instead of a flawless transformation, his mouse-turned-goblet retained its tail, much to the amusement of the students.

"That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley" Professor McGonagall advised, her tone carrying a hint of amusement.

Amidst the laughter, Hermione Granger raised her hand, eager to demonstrate her proficiency.

"Yes, Ms. Granger?" Professor McGonagall acknowledged, giving her the opportunity to showcase her skills.

"Professor... I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets," she asked, her tone earnest.

"Very well" Professor McGonagall acquiesced, acknowledging Hermione's question with a nod. "Oh, you all know, of course... that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago... by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin."

As she recounted the founding of Hogwarts, I couldn't shake the feeling of familiarity that washed over me at the mention of Salazar Slytherin's name. It was as if I had heard it before, perhaps in passing conversation with Lucius Malfoy.

"Three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not," Professor McGonagall continued, her gaze sweeping over the class.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective... about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families... In other words, pure-bloods," she elaborated, drawing attention to Slytherin's controversial views.

"Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend... Slytherin had built a hidden Chamber in this castle... known as The Chamber of Secrets," Professor McGonagall revealed, her words tinged with intrigue.

"Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it... until that time when his own true Heir returned to the school," she explained, hinting at the Chamber's mysterious purpose.

"The Heir alone... would be able to open the Chamber... and unleash the horror within, and by so doing... purge the school of all those who..." Professor McGonagall paused, her expression grave.

"In Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic," Hermione interjected, her voice filled with empathy for those affected by Slytherin's prejudiced beliefs.

"Well, naturally, the school has been searched many times... no such Chamber has been found," Professor McGonagall concluded, though Hermione's curiosity remained unsatisfied.

"Professor? What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" Hermione pressed further, her thirst for knowledge evident.

"The Chamber is said to be home to something... that only the Heir of Slytherin can control," Professor McGonagall revealed, her words sparking a mixture of apprehension and curiosity among the students.

"It is said to be the home... of a monster," she concluded, leaving us to ponder the implications of her words.

As I glanced in front of me, I caught Draco's smirk, a silent acknowledgment of the power and intrigue surrounding the Chamber of Secrets. His smirk conveyed more than just amusement it was a sign of the control and knowledge he believed he possessed, a stark contrast to the uncertainty and fear that gripped the rest of the students. From my position at the back, I could see his posture exuding the pride and arrogance typical of a Malfoy, making it clear that he relished the attention and mystery that came with the situation.

Author's POV

Ron's inquiry about the Chamber of Secrets sparked a flurry of speculation among them. and Hermione, as always, was quick to analyze the situation.

"Yes, couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried. All the teachers are" 

She explained, her tone grave with concern. Harry's thoughts echoed mine as he contemplated the implications of the Chamber's existence. 

"If there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and it has been opened, that means--"

"The Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts. The question is, who is it?" Hermione interjected, her mind already racing with possibilities.

Ron, ever pragmatic, suggested we consider those who harbored anti-Muggle-born sentiments. 

"Let's think. Who do we know who thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?"

Hermione's mind went straight to Draco Malfoy, but Ron was quick to offer a different perspective.

"If you're talking about Malfoy—of course. You heard him, 'You'll be next, Mudbloods.'"

But Harry, ever the empathetic thinker, urged us to consider other possibilities. "Maybe Ron's right, Hermione. I mean, look at his family. The whole lot of them have been Slytherins for centuries."

The mention of Draco's family lineage triggered a revelation, one that Ron articulated with a sudden burst of realization. 

"But why would they make Draco the Heir if he's so pathetic and lame—Y/n!!" he exclaimed, his words resonating with truth.

"Yeah, maybe she's the Heir of Slytherin. She's smart and talented"

Harry agreed, recalling Y/n's prowess both academically and in Quidditch, despite her decision to quit when Draco joined Hogwarts. Ron recalled Hagrid's observations about Y/n's transformation since Draco's arrival, and the shift in her friendships.

"Hagrid said she changed when Draco joined Hogwarts. He said too that she used to be friendly and happy-go-lucky, and all the seniors know that. Even Fred and George were her friends back then, but she herself avoided them, except for two people... Maxima Trevor and Samantha Cole."

Harry's suggestion to move on to their next class broke the tension, drawing a chuckle from them three. As they left the discussion behind, the mystery of the Chamber of Secrets lingered in the back of their minds, waiting to be unraveled.

"To Be Continued"