Chapter 17 - An underestimated foe

Singapore, 2016

"She's late."

"Only a minute."

"A minute can make all the difference, Cap. We're out too much in the open. If she ain't here in the next 30 seconds, we're leaving."

"She'll be here, Sam."

Steve understood Sam's concern, though. He didn't like the rendezvous spot Sharon Carter picked out any more than his friend did. Even though it was a busy part of the city, and a thousand things were going on around them, if anyone looked in their direction and recognized the pair from the news, they were screwed. But after the way she helped them in Berlin, he doubted she would set them up now. Unless, of course, Ross reached out to offer her something... like a pardon and reinstatement. On second thought, maybe this wasn't the best idea. 

"Okay, let's go."

Just then, someone bumped into Steve.

"The fountain in the park, 5 minutes."

Steve barely had time to register Sharon's voice, and by the time he turned his head, she was already disappearing into the crowd, her distinct blond hair in a braid underneath an N.Y. tourist cap.

"Sam, this way."

Falcon threw his hands up and ran after the former Avenger. They walked into the well-maintained park at a brisk pace, looking for the fountain. Thankfully, it wasn't hard to find. When Steve saw Sharon sitting on a back-to-back bench near it, he nudged Sam. The pair sat on the other bench, pretending to enjoy the scenery. Sam made sure to keep an eye out for anything and anyone suspicious (so far, nothing but people enjoying a stroll in the warm afternoon and children playing) while Steve engaged.

"Thank you for meeting us."

"Save it." Sharon's voice was edged with annoyance. "You've got 5 minutes. Start by explaining how the hell you found me."

"When we kissed, I slipt you a tracking device. Just in case."

"What? Where? And how?!"

"You don't wanna know."

"Son of... Remind me to never help you out again."

"This'll be the last time."

"Now, why don't I believe that?"

Steve groaned silently. This wasn't going well. Never mind being out in the open where everyone who looked at him and Sam for longer than 5 seconds could recognize them, but if Sharon decided they weren't worth her while... He had to jump right in to catch her off guard and hope that she would tell him enough.

"What do you know about a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent or project named Nemesis?"

Even back to back and with the bench between them, Steve felt Sharon stiffen.

"How do you know that name?" she whispered.

"We have her," said Steve. "She came after Bucky."

"Goddammit! Stupid girl! Is he okay?"

"Yeah, we stopped her in time. She had Agent 13 listed as her contact. That was Peggy's call sign and yours too. You know more about her, Sharon, and I need to know what it is if I wanna keep her from killing my best friend."

The tense silence was deafening. Steve wanted to turn around, but Sam stopped him from doing so. They couldn't risk it.

"I don't know much," said Sharon then, to Steve's great relief. "Nemesis is something or someone, my aunt started up. I was ordered to continue the work when the previous Agent 13 was killed during a mission."