The Whispering Oak

"Brother! Brother! Come see what I found in the forest!" Regan shouted, bursting through my bedroom door.

"What is it? Did one of Mrs. Jann's cats die again?" I asked.

"What? Of course not! You won't believe me if I tell you. Come see what I figured out!" she shouted, running downstairs. Grabbing Dad's shotgun, I chased after her.

We ran to the forest behind our house, my heart pounding. Not many people go into this forest, at least not recently.

This wood used to be full of happy animals, pursuing hunters, and exciting travelers. Ever since people from near or far have heard the whispers, people have stopped going inside.

Many people think the whispers are the sprites of animals who once lived here, while some other people think it's the enemy tricking us, but most people disagree with the latter.

My sister and I have been going into this forest day and night, trying to find the truth. So far, we've got nothing to prove any of those theories are true. We did find something to prove my sister and I's theory.

At the end of every week, some sort of slime appears all over the place in the morning. We never saw anything like it (nor has anyone else) or its source. We also found out every full moon, even more slime appears.

Our theory is that many slimy monsters wander around the forest at night. Maybe even more monsters wander around on a full moon? We don't know. The weird thing is, whenever we try to take some slime home for proof, the slime poofs into golden dust, we get shocked with a spark of electricity, don't worry, only enough to keep us away. At least we assume it's electricity.

"It's here," Regan said.

"What's here? All I see is the slime," I said.

"I made a map of all the locations of slime and amounts of slime there are in those locations. Look here," She explained, pointing to the middle of the map. "All the slime either comes from here or leaves this tree. Or both. When I found this out, I saw the huge and twisty tree. None of the slime touched the tree, almost as if it was thrown from the tree," she explained.

"The monsters live in the tree," I observed.

"Exactly. Since this monster only comes at night, we will have to come to the tree at night to see it," she said.

"But Mom and Dad will never let us," I pointed out.

"We can sneak out the window," she suggested.

"Would it even matter? It might not be visible without a full moon or something,"

"Do you want to solve this thing or not? Plus, tomorrow is a full moon," she asked.

"Fine, we meet here, tonight. If we get into trouble, it's on you," I sighed.