IX. The Monumental Parts Of Life

Nine

Nine.           The Monumental Parts Of Life

        At first, Ivy didn't mind football games so much

        At first, Ivy didn't mind football games so much. She liked watching Laurie play, she despised seeing Nate play. And, he hadn't been doing so good recently. Well, he had— but it wasn't Cal Jacobs good. So, not good.

Her head peaked around the corner of their hall, she had to bike to Cassie's house. But she didn't wanna play twenty questions . . . So, she was sneaking around like a spy or some shit. And the creaking of Nate's door startled her. Her eyes glued to her father's side profile, as he towered in his second son's room. It was dead silent.

   Quiet houses scared Ivy.

    "You may have won the game." She couldn't see Nate. "But, you lost control of the team. And in the long run, if you don't lead, you're gonna lose." But, Ivy could see Nate now— he stood before Cal. And really close too, like way too close. "You need to take a step back, Nate." Told you.

Ivy's lips were glued shut. Cal speaking up once more, it was like speaking to a toddler. They never listen until you punish them, and even then, sometimes, they still don't listen. "I said take a step back." As Cal utter the final words Nate went at him, Call quick to shove the boy onto his bed, aggressively. Ivy nearly gasped, eyes wide in shock. She wasn't a fan of violence, obviously.

   "Get the fuck off me! Get your fucking hands off me, you fucking faggot!"

   Ivy's world froze. What? Her hands balled up at her sides and she dared to take a step forward. Had she had it all wrong? She so fucking did.

   "Stop fighting!" Cal's words shocked her back to reality. "Fuck you! Fuck you!" She hated being here, and she hated herself more for not helping her brother. But she didn't understand why she couldn't move closer? Why couldn't she move down the hall? Fear. Anger. Sadness.

    And Ivy flinched, hard, as Cal threw her brother to the ground. The house seem to shake. "Keep it up! Huh!" She didn't know how she hadn't been spotted yet. But Nate's gasp and cries were making her sick. Why couldn't she fucking move! Help him! But, what has he ever done for you? He's hurt you. Let him suffer— Shut up!