• Chapter 1 •

Alone in the dimly lit janitor's closet, I huddled in a corner, my head bowed low and tears streaming down my face. My once crisp shirt now clung to my skin, drenched with sorrow, while my pants bore the marks of the dusty floor. A faint beam of light crept in from the hallway, casting a fleeting glow upon the cluttered space, revealing fragments of the room. Through a small crack beside the door, I glimpsed the shadows of passing students, led by Liam, their voices echoing faintly as they searched for me.

"I hate that boy. Can't stand him!" I huffed dramatically, tears welling up in my eyes.

Thanks to him, here I am, stuck in this dreary room with nothing but cleaning supplies and enough breathing space to barely survive. Want the whole scoop on how this madness began?

Well, hold onto your seats, folks, 'cause I'm about to spill all the juicy details.

My name's Zoey Hughes, and I'm strutting my stuff as a senior at Brooke High School. Picture your typical girl next door, the kind nobody in their right mind messes with. No self-deprecation here, no siree. I won't sugarcoat the truth, but hey, I won't be serving up any lies either.

I wasn't nice to anyone.

I love to dance, sing, and play basketball. However, the musical aspect wasn't my thing. I was famous for doing what I love and doing it, the best way I can. I was admired and treated as special.

But, before you judge me for being mean, and on the sloppy side. Get to know more about me.

                      ***

It all started in English class. As usual, the class was filled with serious, brilliant, and dedicated students who were eager to learn and some who weren't interested but occupying space. Mrs. Amber, our English teacher, stood opposite us with a reluctant smile.

Mrs. Amber picked up a textbook from her desk and glanced through it before adjusting her glasses. She looked up at the class with a weary expression, seeming unsure about her outfit choice.

As she brushed her hand against her skirt and adjusted her top, Caroline, Betty, and I found ourselves seated across from two boys who were more interested in the teacher's outfit than the lesson. Their whispers and giggles filled the air, making it hard to focus.

Caroline couldn’t help but roll her eyes and let out an exaggerated sigh, impatiently tapping her pencil on the desk, silently wishing for the class to be over already. Meanwhile, I sat there trying to keep a straight face, pretending to be focused on the lesson while sneakily messaging my boyfriend on my phone.

The boys’ antics may have been amusing, but Caroline's dramatic reactions and my covert texting made the whole situation a lot more entertaining than the lesson itself.

"Miss Hughes," Mrs. Amber called out, making me flinch. "Please tell us about today's topic." Her gaze bore into me, and the class turned to listen, expecting me to stumble.

I reluctantly put my phone away and looked at the board, trying to come up with an answer. I realized I hadn't been paying attention, and the blank board didn't offer any help. Feeling ashamed, I mumbled, "Um... Mrs. Amber, I wasn't paying attention."

Mrs. Amber gave me a stern look and asked for my phone, which I reluctantly handed over. The class laughed, as expected.

"Miss Browns, please share what you learned from today's class," Mrs. Amber instructed.

A girl in the front row stood up confidently and started talking, sounding a lot like Mrs. Amber had earlier. After a while, she winked at me and sat back down.