Chapter 3: Chores

CW: Brief discussions of assault. Implied/referenced sexual activity. Allusions to (deserved) murder. Mentions of attempted murder.

Chapter 3: Chores

He's trembling, soaking wet hair sticking to his forehead. He's changed clothes, now wearing a simple peasant tunic that's stained in places and stitched up or patched in others. His pants are much the same. He won't meet my gaze.

I lean further back in my chair, letting my eyes rake over him. He's scrawny, probably underweight. Tall and gangly limbs; just the slightest hint of visible hips. Standing, his feet turn inwards just a bit.

"I heard the gossip in that town. Those allegations...are they accurate?"

"N-No, Captain. They're...not."

I hum, watching him pick at the skin around his fingernails. "So what's the truth?"

"I was Lord Marano's stableboy for six years. I love horses. I lived in the stable. His son...A few weeks ago, he began acting...odd towards me. Cornering me in the stables, making comments about my appearance. Trying to talk me into things I didn't want to do. And yesterday...He pinned me down in the stables and tried to engage with me. And I refused, and he...he went to his father with claims that I had been coming onto him and that I...Liked men. That I was pressuring him."

I cross my arms, gritting my teeth at the conversation. I put the thought of that asshole aside, focusing my attention back on the stableboy. "So you like men?"

His breath hitches, and he shakes his head rapidly. "N-No, Captain."

"Enough of that. I won't tolerate being lied to."

"P-Pardon?"

"I know what those places are like. Not here. I like men. Ciden prefers them. Sally likes women. Aiden prefers...well, he's unsure. Your preferences are not vile."

His eyes finally stray from his feet as he peeks at me, giving me a better look at his bright grey eyes. "I...I don't like men." His voice is shaky, soft. Scared.

I find my jaw clenching again and have to force myself to relax. He's not lying to be malicious. He's doing it defensively. "What's your name?"

"Xian."

"What are you good at?"

"I...I can sew and mend clothing. I can lift small to moderate weight. I...I'm alright at organizing?"

"And cleaning?"

"I can clean, Captain."

I nod to show that I've heard him. Part of me doesn't want to ask him what's running through my head; he seems petrified already. But the way he's worrying his lip between his teeth, leaving it looking bright red... And he is a very pretty man. "What's your stance on those that frequent the inns and offer their services?"

"...If that's what they want to do, it isn't my problem. Why?"

"How would you feel if I offered you that sort of job instead of cleaning?"

Xian goes completely still. I'm not even sure if he's breathing. "I...I don't...No. I don't like...not men. No. I don't want to...please."

"Then you won't. I would never force anyone to pleasure me. That's disgusting and unforgivable. I just figured I would extend the offer in case you would like it over taking over everyone's cleaning duties. Cleaning can get dreadfully boring."

"Cleaning is fine!" Xian says in one breath. "I don't mind cleaning, Captain."

"Then you'll keep the ship clean until we dock again in another town that you'll be safer in. I presume you wouldn't like to stay indefinitely. You don't seem like much of a pirate."