XVIII. Destruction Of The Finest

Eighteen

Eighteen.           Destruction Of The Finest

              Cassie Howard was fernweh

              Cassie Howard was fernweh. An ache for distant places. Cassie was the ache of missing, and Ivy was the distant places. And it seemed Ivy was a place Cassie would never get to, again.

        Ivy & Laurie watched Cassie walk down aisle of the right side and middle of the Auditorium. Laurie's jaw clenched, Ivy's heart clenched. This is not good. Cassie seem to walk in slow motion, destruction and pain clear on her face. Her heeled footsteps pounded all over Ivy: In her chest, ribs, head. Ivy was gonna throw up.

      Fuck, she was so anxious all the time.

       But, it seemed the world made her like that.

    Ivy's gaze snapped towards the stage, the next act on. And Ivy gasped, Laurie's head snapping towards her as a few people around them did as well. Ivy was staring at Hallie, Marta, & Isa on stage— The Carnival.

     The fucking Carnival.

    Ivy wanted to burst out of her seat too. But, she wasn't as fucked as Cassie was . . . I think. "—Thousand versions of myself. Not only do I look good, but I fucking feel good..." Then the clapping started, Cassie marched her ass on stage with claps. Laurie's (shaking) hand ran over his jaw, his words soft. "Fuck, man."

    Ivy wanted the world to swallow her whole. Her hands balled up together, pressed to her lips in anxiety. Ivy and Maddy couldn't help and share a glance. This was fucked.

     "Lexi," Cassie stomped all over the stage. "You really outdid yourself. I mean.." The blonde let out a laugh. "Where did she find these knock-offs!" The audience seem to gasp gently, Ivy's eyes screwing shut like she was in pain. No, no, no.

    Cassie continued: "I had no idea that my sister had this in her. Good job, right? Isn't she brave? She's up here, unpacking all of her trauma. I had no idea how hard your life was, Lexi. Can we give a round of applause for how hard Lexi's life is?" And they clapped, and cheered. Wow.