Important Festivals of Sydney to Keep a Watch on

Sydney is a wonderful destination that hosts some of the best festivals in the world. A Sydneysider's calendar always has something in store for them. Being one of Sydney's leading tour operators, we have often seen a trend of our sales skyrocketing during certain seasons and event days. And, of course, these are Sydney's favourite days of the year. If you're wondering what these events are, here is a shortlist of some of Sydney's best festivals that are sure to make a splash.

Sydney New Year's Eve

The Sydney New Year's Eve, spectacular in every way, absolutely tops the list of the most anticipated events in the city. This grand celebration features the amazing NYE fireworks, which are synchronised to the soundtracks of popular music. Every year, there are two main pyrotechnic displays: the 9 PM Family Fireworks and the 12 AM Midnight Fireworks. Although both are televised nationally and globally, there is no better way to experience the fireworks than watching them from Sydney Harbour.

Dotted along the harbour are many waterfront vantage points, including restaurants, cafes, and the New Year cruises. In the run-up to the last day of the year, there is a great demand for ticketed venues, as people often look for vantage points with smaller crowds, offering the best firework spectacle. In this case, our best pick for you is the popular NYE cruises on Sydney Harbour; not only do they offer the best fireworks views but also offer a delectable dinner with drinks.

Vivid Sydney

Although a later addition to the group of festivals in the city, Vivid Sydney (launched in 2009) has become a glorious event that attracts large crowds every year, especially artists and art lovers. The 12th edition of Vivid Sydney is around the corner; it is scheduled from 27 May 2022 to 18 June 2022. The city will be decked with numerous installations and lights for three whole weeks. The festival will be spread across 13 precincts of the city, each of them showcasing three prominent elements of Vivid: Lights, Music and Ideas. The city will exhibit unique and innovative works by artists from different parts of the world, which are sure to pique your imagination. So, if you're travelling to the Land Down Under during Vivid season, don't miss this amazing opportunity to interact with some of the brilliant minds of the world.

Sydney Festival

Sydney Festival is another top-liner on the list of Aussie festivals. It runs for three weeks and attracts some 3 million people to the city every year. From several large-scale free outdoor events to long-running concerts, the festival offers an enticing program of over 100 events and 330 performances featuring some 900 artists from 17 countries. The festival is usually held across 30 venues including Sydney Theatre, Carriageworks, Opera House, City Recital Hall and a number of community halls, streets and parks. This popular festival acknowledges the 29 clans of the Eora Nation, the traditional owners of the land where the Sydney Festival takes place.

Mardi Gras

A festival entirely dedicated to the LGBTQ+ community, the Sydney Mardi Gras brings a pageant of costumes, props and puppetry to the city. This is not only one of the largest Pride events in the world but also one of Australia's biggest tourist drawcards. From the Pride flag raising at Sydney Town Hall and Fair Day to the Paradise Pool Party and Sissy Ball and Laugh Out Proud, the festival will be a celebration of the community. If you're new to the city or unaware of the queer culture and art, this would be an amazing opportunity to take the plunge.

Sydney's festivals keep evolving with every edition and that in itself could be an excuse to go see them every year. Well, now it's your call to go or not to go!