Chapter 1: Another Day

~Violet's POV~

First period.

There I was, sitting in my first-period class at a new school that I transferred to a month late.

Thanks, Dad.

I sighed. Like always, I came to class early to pick the left corner spot of the classroom.

Fun fact: I like left more than right because everyone likes right more. Ask someone to pick between a path that leads left or one that leads right, I guarantee you they'll pick right.

Just like with heads and tails. I always pick tails.

I sat in the corner as the other kids started to fill the classroom. I paid no attention to them whatsoever. I'll be gone in a couple of months anyway, no matter what my dad promises.

"I promise, this is our last move. This is the one. Last one. I promise"

All lies.

It used to bother me. Now, I don't care anymore. I used to hate leaving all my "friends" and lives I had built over the years at each new school. It doesn't bother me anymore. I'm just glad this time we moved to the U.S.A again. Speaking English is so much easier.

The final bell rang and the teacher stood from his desk and walked to the middle of the whiteboard area to address the class.

"Good morning everyone! Before we dive into today's history lesson, I'd like to introduce a new student!"

This got a few murmurs from the kids like it always did.

"New student?" "It's a month in?" "Did you hear about this?"

The teacher scanned the room to look for me. I didn't bother to help him out by raising my head to look at him. Instead, I just continued to write and doodle.

"Ah!" he said, and I heard him clap his hands together.

With some annoyance, I looked up. I could feel some of the class's eyes on me.

"Class, meet Violet Hart. I'm sure you'll all do your best to make her feel welcome. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself, Ms. Hart," the teacher prompted.

"No, thank you," I said and looked back down at my paper. I saw a glimpse of the teacher before my eyes fell back to my drawing of a lily and he looked baffled. I now felt all of the class's eyes on me and heard some of the kids laugh a little under their breaths.

The teacher knew he couldn't make me share anything about myself. It wasn't mandatory. It was just a formality that I should go through but chose not to.

And so, he cleared his throat with a cough.

"Alrighty then. Let's start today's lesson."

I am a very great multitasker and could listen to his lecture, take notes on it, and draw all at the same time. When he finished the lecture, he gave us an assigned section of the U.S. history textbook to read and answer the end of the chapter questions.

After an eternity, the bell rang.

"Before you go, hand in your question answers whether they're done or not! And get to your next class!"

As I closed the textbook on my desk and started packing my things into my backpack, I saw out of my peripheral vision a boy walking toward me.

And so it begins.

When he was at the front of my desk, mouth open about to say something, I cut him off.

"Don't even," I stated firmly. Stunned into silence, just as intended, I walked by him, not sparing a glance, turned in my paper with a smile to the teacher, and walked out to go to my next class.