Finding Home

Everything seemed unclear in my eyes as the sound of gunfire echoed loudly like clapping thunder. But along with the noise of explosions and horrid screams, I heard a faint yet familiar voice--a voice that kept calling out to me, calling out my name.

"Will..." She cried out from the darkness. Her lips moved slowly as she uttered words I can't seem to hear. I tried to catch what she was saying until--"WILL!"

I suddenly gasped for air as sweat trickled down my head then to my neck. I just woke up from what seemed to be a dream – a dream that reminded me of a memory of when the war in our country, Vhillisia, started...

My name is William Anthony Jones, a survivor of the Keihm War's 7th raid that affected my hometown in Nasen City and other parts of the country.

The Keihm War began just three years ago when our once beloved and respected leaders decided to use violence as a resolve to their political and somewhat petty arguments. I am not that knowledgeable about politics, but from what I know is that ever since the Martial Law was administered, things in Vhillisia got even worse. Things, as told by our leaders, were supposed to get better. Instead, it all went downhill as the military slowly began controlling almost everything. And that's because of the general – General Felcon Berau.

General Felcon Berau was once a noble man who honored and protected his country. He was an awesome soldier. Kind and generous. I idolized him. However, like some of our leaders, he grew corrupt, selfish, and greedy. He thirsts for power; hence, he took advantage of his authority, which led our country to endless chaos, war, and bloodshed. I sometimes wonder, how did such an honorable man become this cruel? That side of the story–I will never know.

Anyway, I lost my family during this war. Many have. And because of that, I, along with a few other survivors from all parts of the Anaya Islands, have planned to escape from this god-forsaken country. It started off good as many of us were willing to fight and keep going with finding a new home. But then, as more of us began to disappear from the world like candles being quickly blown out on a birthday cake, things began to look bleak for those who remained. That didn't stop me though. I was always too stubborn to give up, which kinda leads us to now...

"Hey, Will. I see you're awake." A man with long and wavy jet black hair that was messily tied into a bun and who wore a somewhat tattered and old attire came into my tent. Despite his ragged appearance, his eyes, however, glimmered like a child's.

"Mike," I uttered the man's name as I slowly sat up from the mattress surrounded with empty cans and crumpled sheets of paper. I was working tirelessly last night, devising plans on how to go through certain obstacles to escape this place.

Ever since this war and this martial law, you can imagine how the democracy we once had plummeted. Just standing outside your house would get you in trouble. How messed up is that?

"I see you've been busy all night." Mike sighed as he stared at the mess in my tent. Well, whenever was it NOT messy? "I told you I could help you, you know? You're not alone in this. Remember that." He continued.

Mike Aixher, my best friend since grade school, was also a survivor of the 7th Raid in Nasen City. He and his sister, Amanda Rei Aixher, were the first to join me in my mission to leave Vhillisia for good. Mike, in the beginning, has always been supportive of my plans and ideas–even though most of them got him in trouble–but despite our current situation, he always looked at the bright side of things. Mike was and still is the most optimistic person I've ever met. Sometimes, I wonder how did this nice and reliable dork keep up with me and my shenanigans? Or maybe the best question is: how did I end up with an amazing friend?