Chapter 1

Minerva Mcgonagall sat in her office fuming. That stupid old man had once again let poor Harry down. He swore no-one would be able to enter if they were under age but yet again Harry was in danger, everyone agreed that the boy was entered under false pretences but none seemed inclined to help him. Well no more Minerva would do anything she could for the grandson of her oldest friend. There is on person who can put a stop to all of this she had put this off time and time again. Albus had gone too far this time. To stop a legend you need a legend and that is just who she was going to call. Lady Iris Black muggleborn Iris Evans Lily's younger sister.
Minerva smirked to herself she would put that old goat in his place.
Lady Black was a bigger living legend than the boy who lived. A muggleborn who was the first since the time of the founders who could control dragons. Even going so far as to have two as her familiars. She was a strong woman who took no nonsense and before she left the country had the old purebloods well under her thumb even Albus made no major moves without her say-so. That stopped her for a moment as far as she could recall Iris would never have left her home or her family. She would never have left Harry with the Dursley's so why? Looking through her mind Minerva found several blank spots that indicated that her memory had been altered. That, that addle minded whiskered smug faced old goat. When she got her hands on him she going to beat that old bastard black and blue. It was at that moment she noticed two things first she had lost control of her magic reeking havoc on her office and second her door was open and Pomona, Filius and Severus were staring at her.
"Evening." She said faltering slightly. "What brings you by so late."
"Well we were coming to see what the headmaster has done about Potter." Pomona asked taking in the drastic state of the room. "But I sense this is not the case."
"Surely he got the poor boy out of it?" Filius asked agitatedly. "It was bad enough with all that business in his second year but this will turn the whole school against him."
"I must say I would not be suprised if Albus didn't do anything." Severus drawled.
"Whyever not?" Pomona asked.
"Our esteemed Headmaster seems to have some plan in mind for the boy." He replied. "Whatever the cause he seemed disinterested in helping Potter out of the situation and more interested in assigning blame to the boy."
"Severus is right the headmaster was quite useless really." Minerva added. "As Mr Potter's magical guardian he could have removed him and had the names redrawn as long as it was in the first four hours. That wrinkled old goat waited until after the deadline to tell me that."
"Then we must help the poor boy ourselves." Filius stated.
"We can't the rules forbid our intervention now he is a champion." Minerva added tiredly. "But do not fret I have a plan."
"What plan?" They asked almost at the same time.
"Come on and close the door." As they entered she pulled pit her wand and repaired the damage to her room and conjured some chairs. Set a few privacy and silence wards. "There is one person who can help Harry. Lady Black."
Severus looked confused but Pomona gasped and Filius had an expression of glee that only a goblin could give.
"I'm sorry Minerva but Lady Black?" Severus said genuinely confused. "Walburga would never help the son of a half-blood and she has been dead for years."
"Severus what are you talking about?" Minerva responded. "I'm talking about Iris, Lily's sister."
"I assure you I knew Lily as a child she had only one sister and that was Petunia." Severus argued back.
Minerva began to worry, Pomona, Filius and herself clearly all knew who that was but not Severus. It was then that Filius spoke up.
"Severus I clearly remember teaching both Evans sisters Lily and Iris." He said softly. "You are a skilled at occlumency are you not?"
"Yes." He replied getting what Filius was hinting at he began to search his mind. Blank spot and subtle signs of his mind being tampered with. But not to remember a whole person that made Severus very angry. With his anger fueling him he ripped through the darkness in his head and found the image of a young girl so like Lily but where she had red hair and green eyes, Iris had lavender eyes and her hair was a shade of deep purple. The cascade of memories had him falling to his knees. When he opened his eyes the ithers were staring at him in concern. Blinking back the tears that had formed he composed himself as only a master occlumens could and sat back. "If anyone deserves her wrath it is that man. She will tear his world to pieces for the things he has done her family. Because if their is one thing that means anything to her it is family. I would say Albus won't know what hit him but she will make sure he knows it was her the wrecked his little world."
He said this with such venom that would have made even the most blood thirsty goblin envious and cause them to shrink back in theor seats from him.
"Yes I was just going to send her a letter before I saw you." Minerva said recovering her Gryffindor courage. "In light of the fact you didn't remember her and the blank spots in my own memory I will recommend she announces her return to the whole wizarding world not come directly here and confront Albus."
"It might also be wise to pay a visit to gringotts." Filius added.
"My cousin is a wonderful mind healer and should be able to clear any blank spots in your mind. Just ask for Barchock he will help you for a fee of course."
"I will advise Iris to go there first." Minerva said pulling a spare piece of parchment towards her and grabbing a quill.
"It does bring a question to my mind." Severus spoke now that his anger was back under his control. "Iris would never have left Harry with Petunia or left home ignorant of the traditions of the wizarding world. So where has she been and what lies has she been told. Perhaps it would be better to meet her in person rather than send a letter."
"That is all well and good Severus but she has been living in America all this time how do you propose we meet with her?" Minerva asked glaring at him.
"Now, now Minnie you know that hasn't worked on me since I was a student." Severus snarked coldly. "I know the name of her personal elf and she will answer when I call we could go and see her and be back in England before breakfast."
There was silence for  good minute until Minerva broke it with a stern "Well what in Merlins name are you waiting for call the elf!"
"I was going to ask who is coming with me?" Severus drawled sarcasm disrupting from his voice.
"I will." Minerva said firmly. "I am throughly ashamed of myself and I know Dorea would be turning in her grave at my actions or rather inaction. Now do you have any potions on you to keep us awake. As ot is nearly 4am we must be ready for the students after all."
Severus nodded and withdrew several vials from his pocket hand them to each person in the room. As they took the potion they felt rejuvenated and refreshed as if they had had a full night's sleep.
"I don't know how long we will be hopefully we will return before breakfast." Minerva said turning to Pomona and Filius. "If we don't return in time make up some excuse for the old fart."
Catching Severus eye he nodded once again and Pomona wished them luck.
"Fia!" Severus called out and a few seconds later a small well dressed elf with the black crest on her arm popped into the room and bowed.
"Fia meets master Snape sir." She said softly. "How can Fia bes helping master?"
"Minerva and I need to see your Mistress at once." Severus said in a soft voice that Minerva hadn't heard since he was a student. "It concerns family."
"Of course master Snape sir." The elf said nodding and held out her hands to both of them. "Please bes holding on Fia will takes you to Mistress now."
As they popped away Pomona and Filius exchanged a solemn look and exited the room taking the wards down as they left.
Many miles away in the wizarding town of Salem Lady Iris Black was about to go shopping when she felt persons unknown cross the ward line of her house. Drawing her wand she rose from her seat and readied herself for a fight.
"Goodness Fia you gave me a fright." She said when her elf walked into the room. "Who have you brought to me at this time of day?"
"Hello Iris." Said a voice she had never thought to heat again. But the Scottish burr in the voice was unmistakable. "We are here for a very  important reason."
"We?" She asked. "Who is we? And what could it possibly have to do with me? I cut all ties with England when the Potter's were murdered and my husband incarcerated."
"But what about Harry?" Minerva asked innocently. "What are you talking about Albus told me Harry died with his parents." Iris replied sadly.
"On that you would be wrong!" Severus exclaimed from the doorway.
They them spent the next few minutes trying to convince Iris that she was wrong that Harry wasn't dead and they weren't having much luck until Severus said "For Merlins sake woman will you just look in my memories you will see for yourself!"
Iris was taken aback at that and locked eyes with the man. Severus for his part called all the memories of Harry to the front of his mind. As Minerva had no part of this she sat down and was given some tea by the friendly little elf.
She had finished about half of the cup when Iris gasped and fell to her knees. Severus rushed to her side and helped her to a seat. Much to Minerva's suprise she then clipped him round the head.
"You know what that was for you bullying brat." Iris said seemingly recovered. "Severus has replayed everything about the current situation for me. And I agree Fumbledork will definitely know who hit him. I have the start of a plan that will take about three days to implement-"
"There's something you should know." Severus added not meeting her eyes and flushing with what Minerva could only call shame. "Sirius escaped Azkaban."
"I know that it made the news even here." Iris said irritated.
"Harry told me that Sirius is innocent." Severus said still not looking up. "At the time I didn't believe him but now with my memories unlocked I remembered some things that make me believe Harry was telling the truth. Potter said that Petigrew was alive and he was the secret keeper and that he transformed into a rat and escaped after incriminating your husband."
Iris was very quiet and still for several minutes. Minerva and Severus could feel her trying to control and contain her magic.
"Ok then I will need at least a week to implement my plan." She said calmly although they both could see the rage behind her eyes. "Expect me to announce my grand return in a week. I might even appear in the great hall in a shower of fireworks just to piss the old goat off. Fia take Minerva and Severus back. Thank you for coming for me. One week from today and you can get ready to watch me burn that goat fuckers life to the ground."
With some goodbyes and hugs they returned to the school just in time for breakfast.