hiding in plain sight

"I'm not saying that I don't want to tell others about you... it's just that I can't."

Louis swallows thickly, staring up at Harry and feeling slightly annoyed. There are a million questions sitting on the tip of his tongue, just waiting to spill out. But those questions have answers, and Louis isn't sure if he even wants to hear them. Most of them would just be excuses. Everything Harry's said since they've gotten together has been excuse after excuse. It makes Louis wonder why Harry even asked him out, if all it leads to is secret date nights and stolen kisses.

"Okay," Louis says after a minute. He swallows thickly, trying to shove the words he does want to say down. Repress, repress, repress. "Am I still allowed to come to the party tonight? Or do you want me to stay home?"

Harry's good at backing out of his promises. It's exhausting.

"Yeah, 'course. Just make sure to wear a mask," Harry answers with a grin. "I doubt people would expect you there, so you shouldn't be recognized."

"Right," Louis whispers. He straightens up, glancing around quickly before pressing a quick kiss to Harry's lips. He ducks down and hurries away before he can see his boyfriend's expression.

~*~

Louis's pacing in his room, trying to decide if he should back out of Harry's halloween party tonight. Gemma's the only person who knows him and Harry are even dating. If he shows up, she might say something. She hasn't before, but Louis also knows that Gemma's getting tired of the lying.

"Lou? You alright?"

Louis jumps, seeing Lottie standing in the doorway. She's wearing her own fairy costume on, makeup dancing prettily across her face.

"Uh, yeah, sorry," Louis mumbles, blushing as he sits on the bed. His Flash costume is sitting next to him, both tempting him and tormenting him. He only picked it because Harry insisted on one with a mask. "Just nervous for the party."

"You got invited to one?" Lottie asks, sitting next to her brother on the bed. "I thought you were going with mum and the girls trick-or-treating."

Louis shakes his head. "A friend invited me," he answers, smiling a little. He really likes Harry, even if the other boy makes it difficult on him. "I'm just not a crowd person. You know that."

Lottie hums softly. "Come with me, then. It'll be fun and lowkey."

"No, it's okay. I really want to have fun with the friend who invited me." He takes a deep breath, hoping he'll have enough strength to get him through the rest of the night. "Thank you, though."

Lottie looks at him for a while before nodding. "Alright. Call me if you want to come get you, though."

"You know I will."

Lottie gives him one last squeeze to the shoulder before heading out of his room. She closes his door on the way, leaving him with privacy once more. He can't help but put his head in his hands and wonder what the hell he's doing.

Louis catches a ride to the party from Liam. He doesn't know the reason behind Louis deciding to go, but is happy enough to take his best friend along.

When they get inside, Liam starts looking for Niall, leaving Louis standing alone in the front entryway. There are people everywhere, and the entire room stinks of weed. He carefully makes his way in further, shaking his head at anyone offering him a pen or a drink.

"You need to loosen up," a voice says from next to him. Louis looks over and sees Harry in his own pirate costume.

"I'm fine," Louis insists, grabbing a water bottle from the nearby counter. He chews his bottom lip. "What am I doing here, Harry?"