-Part One-

Turning away from the door, the man dragged a hand over his face anxiously. "Argh-! Gotta think..." Connie and Eugene said nothing, seeing the man's frustrated look upon having discovered the squad car out front. The man then waved his gun at Eugene. "A'right, brain boy, sit back down."

  "But you just said-"

  "Forget what I said!" The man snapped. As he made his way around the back of the counter, Eugene did as he was told and sat on the ground. The man then turned his attention to Connie. "You're a bright girl," He began, trying to sway her with sweet talk—though it came off as anything but, to Connie. "I'm going to hide behind the counter with brain boy over here,"

  "That's me." Eugene noted. Ignoring him, the man continued. "You're going to make that cop leave. And don't even think of trying anything funny." Briefly glancing between him and the front door, Connie then asked, "Wh-What do I do?" The man, getting down on the ground beside Eugene, shrugged. "I don't know, just clean the counter or something!"

  "But, it's already clean..."

  "Pretend!" The man shook his head, exasperated at how the two continued to question every little thing he told them. "Good grief, you two were made for each other...!" He commented, to which Eugene piped up with, "We're just friends, actually."

  "Barely." Connie added with a small eye-roll. The man then fell silent, and signaled for Eugene to do the same. Just as Connie picked up a rag from nearby, the small bell above the door rang as the officer from the squad car outside arrived inside. Clearing her throat a little, Connie greeted him. "Oh hi, Officer Kern."

  "Hi there, Connie." Officer Kern greeted in return, before then asking, "Is everything okay?" Trying not to shake too much, Connie nodded 'yes'. "Yeah, why?" The officer lightly shrugged. "Well, the silent alarm went off at the station, and we figured I'd come check it out." He explained, before chuckling a little. "We assumed it was bumped since it's not likely anyone would rob Whit's End!" Connie chuckled, too, still trying not to sound nervous at all. "No, hardly." She agreed.

  "Anyways, since I'm here," Officer Kern continued, watching her demeanor closely. "Would it be alright if I get a coffee? If there's any left, I mean." He requested. Connie said nothing, simply staring the officer in the eye. He immediately picked up on the conflicted look she seemed to have. As if she were trying to make up her mind. Slowly raising a brow, Officer Kern asked her again, "Is everything okay?"

  "I um..." Still looking extremely hesitant, Connie slowly and subtly shook her head 'no'. When she spoke again, it was in a very low whisper. "Behind the counter..." Officer Kern gave her a puzzled look. "Pardon?" Connie then, just as subtly, nodded beside herself. "There's... a man-" Said man behind the counter obviously heard what she'd whispered to the officer, and before anyone could even process what was happening, he sprung up from behind the counter. Officer Kern barely had the time to realize the man was armed, before a gunshot rang out.

  Connie's eyes widened, watching as Officer Kern stumbled back before tripping—the back of his head colliding against a nearby chair. While she leaned over the counter to see him lying still on the floor, bleeding, another commotion broke out. Turning her head quickly, she saw Eugene attempting to wrestle the gun from the man's hand. The man was putting up an unfair fight strength-wise—being of a more bulky build compared to her friend. "Cease and-" Eugene grunted, still trying to overcome the man's strength. "And desist-!" Another gunshot.

  The man shoved Eugene off of himself, and onto the floor with a loud thud. It suddenly felt as if time itself had slowed down. Connie wanted to stay and see if Eugene was okay—who was she kidding? She could see the red staining his white t-shirt and black vest, of course he wasn't okay!—But she also saw the man turn to face her, as he did a double check of his gun's chamber. Without even thinking, her feet began moving, and she began her run out of the building—b-lining for the front door.