Chapter 11 -3rd person-

The two wolves finish eating and rest for a few more hours, the talks they had emotionally drained them both. All too soon however loud howls echo in from the stadium. Ryo stands, her muscles ache with excitement, this is signal the black wolf has been waiting for. It is time for her to claim /this/ ring.
     Ryo shakes out her fur and flicks her tail, motioning the white wolf to follow her lead. Ryo steps into the preparation stall, her domineering presence already felt by the crowd. Zaru and Jin stand just slightly behind her but match her fierce disposition.
     They glance past her, and take the arena ahead in their sights. As they look to the stands, shock fills them at the sight. The pack-wolves knowledge on how many rogues run these lands are servely underestimated. The crowd's jeers go wild the moment the white wolf comes forward from the shadows behind Ryo.
     Their excitement at seeing the Beast return is evident, word clearly traveled fast and has made tonight a big event.
The fire alpha gives a grand speech, announcing the return of Ryo. His words shallow and pompous as he finishes.
     "Without further delay, the guests of honor!" He motions to Ryo and Zaru in the center of the ring, "The Beast herself and a royal!"
     The crowd begins to whisper at the last part, mixed words stating that the beast probably isn't dangerous anymore. Taking note of the white wolf next to her, no wolves were ever allowed so close.
     Some even dare to whisper that the white wolf is her new master. Others bite their tongue not daring to show disrespect with the rogue killer so close.
     A rogue in the stands however, was unable to hold their tongue any longer. An arrogant female rogue shouts over the crowd that's in full cheers.
     "That mutt has been gone for like 8 months! She isn't a monster just another weak pack bitch!" The female snarls, staring Ryo down.
     "Looks like we have our first challenger folks!" The alpha snaps his fingers and two gaurds grab the rogue and force her into the pit.
     Panic instantly washing over her but Ryo responds naturally. Like no time has passed and takes the lead. Feral snarls rip from her lungs mixing with the sounds of her snapping jaw.
     Jin stands behind his mate, not daring to move knowing she wants this. He watches carefully as Ryo launches forward, closing the distance quick on the begging female.
     The rogue shifts with no other options left as her pleading went unanswered. The female side steps the beast running forward and lunges at the white wolf. Not to attack him but to get around him to reach Ryo's opened entrance.
     Jin stands perfectly still, he isn't worried in the slightest. The figure of his mate is already landing on the back of the rogue. Crushing her down into the ground just feet away from him.
     Ryo growls and bites into the rogue's nape mercilessly, ripping the spine out. Entrails fly from the bones as she tosses it sideways and then kicks the corpse hard with her hind legs.
     It clears the distance of the ring and slams hard against the challengers entrance. The force of the impact creates an explosion of blood.
     Any ring Ryo has been to has a cell room with her own entrance but the entrance for the challengers are always stained red. The crowd erupt loudly, their own bloodlust feuled by the beast's energy. The pit master taking this chance to hype the upcoming rounds. The more he builds his reputation, the more offerings are brought to him.
     "Now then are we ready to start tonight's massacres, I mean matches?!" Since tonight will be the most profitable fights they've had in a long time, the pit master is excited too.
     "Then begin!" Clapping his hands, 4 pit rogues step into the ring.
     Ryo nudging Jin forward this time. It's his turn to fight, and she expects him to win. She takes to circling the edge of the ring, watching her mate with no intention to interfere.
     The rogues eye the beast cautiously as she circles them, a hunger evident in her cold gaze. However when she continues to just circle, the pit rogues soon realize Ryo has no interest in them.
     The rogues study her powerful gaze, Ryo's eyes never leaving the royal. Feeling safe from the Rogue Beast, their confidence grows, stepping towards the white wolf. Since the beast only has her sights on the white wolf, then he must be her true target tonight.
     Little do they know she is watching him, not hunting. She is studying every twitch and movement of his body. Every breathe, every pulse of his heart, she is taking note of his mistakes.
     She growls lowly as 1 rogue gets a bite in from behind on Jin's hind quarter. Her mate was too busy focusing on the 3 in front he didn't notice the other who split away.
     Ryo watches on, seeing how he responds to the sudden attack. The way the white wolf jumps, the way he lands. She growls lowly again still annoyed he even let that one rogue get so close.
     With Jin's next action a smirk dance's along Ryo's muzzle this time. The wolf kicks his leg out, the force of which detaches the rogue. Sending the unlucky mutt straight at Ryo and she catches the pit rogue in her jaw in one swift motion.
     Crushing it's kneck and tossing the corpse to join the other one. She shakes out her fur, and begins to prowl her mate. Jin can feel the heat of her gaze but forces himself to remain focused.
     The other 3 rogues are now also more wary. The Beast may not step in but she won't hesitate to kill if they get too close. Their minds are wondering so much they don't even realize how weak it makes them.
     The rogue in the center charges forward finally pulling focus back and the other two follow suit. They split and run flanks around Jin. They plan to attack from 3 sides at once, hoping to gain the upper hand.
     Jin darts forward charging into the lead rogue, taking a move straight from Ryo herself. He collides into the rogue's chest, knocking the wind out of the mutt. It falls to the ground, it's body shuddering as they gasp for air.
     Jin now turns and catches the second rogue as it lunges for a bite. Opting for a quick solution, he snap his jaws down into it's back. Jin's fangs cruching the back bone before tossing the paralyzed rogue into the rogue he rammed into.
     The 3rd rogue darts left and instead of the white wolf, he guns for Ryo. Panic fills Jin instantly and Ryo snarls at him viciously for it.
     "FOCUS!" She snaps at her mate. The rogue skidding to a stop inches from an open jaw.
     She snaps down on him regardless but instead of killing the young pit rogue, Ryo carries him into the center of the ring. Dropping the rogue in front of the white wolf.
     She then goes and keeps circling the pit as if nothing happened. It was a close fight overall but no other issues from Jin. He kills the last rogue and stands tall in the middle of the ring, waiting for the next round.
     Before the next fighters can enter, 7 random rogues leap in from grand stands above. Some land already shifted into wolves and few that remain human.
     They begin to circle the Prince greedily, ambition glowing brightly in their naive eyes.
     "Royal blood must taste sweet! The Beast is just circling, she isn't gonna help you." A tall male barked, a sinister smirk twisting his lips.
     "She brought you here to watch you die I bet." Another one growls from behind Jin.
     They taunt a bit more then shift, all 7 rogues now encircle him. Their snarls are pitiful compared to his mate's, they aren't intimidating at all to him.
     Jin struggles against the building rage the taunts stirred within but Zaru gives him encouragement. Calming their mind, Zaru having to remind Jin that their mate is testing them.
     The eyes of Ryo are watching his every move, taking note of everything he does. Jin realizes how crucial these matches are now, he wants to bond with his mate. This is how she wants them to grow closer so he will give it everything he has.
     With Jin's will finally soild, he explodes with a new found strength. He lunges forward and kills all 7 wolves easily. They stood stunned as he leaps across their backs. Snapping knecks as bounces from one to another.
     Mere moments later, he lands in the center, the rogues dead as their bodies drop around him. The crowd laughs and cheers, mocking the weak fools. Enjoying the free show.
     The official round starts and 3 middles are thrown in, their human form barely covered by tattered rags. Ryo doesn't react outwardly but inside she knows her mate won't be able to handle this.
     Jin watches taken aback as they attack without restraints or fear. Zaru doesn't even know what todo, the pair just keep on the defense. The middles' bodies are covered in battle scars and that just futher unbalances the white wolf.
     Teeth marks, imprints from chains, all the abuse so evident on their flesh, some even fresh. The white wolf's resolve is rapidly breaking the more he notices. Zaru and Jin both note how swift the teens' movements are, faster then even the best pack teenagers at home.
     The Prince doesn't want to hurt them, he sees them as /children/, poor children who need help. After an hour of dodging, the white wolf has multiple stab wounds and slices. The middles relentlessly on the attack, the grandstands a mix of anger and excitement.
     Zaru and Jin have just been dodging and their body is starting to take a heavy toll cause of it. Their movements slowing but the 3 boys absolutely haven't let up in the slightest. Taking any openings the Alpha leaves unchecked.
     Ryo charges in finally having enough of this pitiful fight. Taking the biggest one in her sights first, lunging at him from behind. She severs his head from his body, the boy never even knowing what happened.
     The grandstand erupts happily as blood sprays out, coating the Rogue Killer in a red rain. Ryo snarls viciously as she drops the head, it rolls to her mate's feet. Her burning black eyes full of rage, Jin shivers knowing he has fucked up.
     Zaru watches on in shock as his mate kills the second one then turns her sights back on Jin. She flicks her gaze, watching the last middle run straight for her mate.
     The boy's eyes are a painful twist of colors, it is the first thing they truly notice about him. They look to his steady hands next, tightly gripping a sliver dagger. This boy's attack is true and his gaze fierce.
     This teenager is charging the Prince with the full intent to kill. The poison can been seen dripping off the blade as it gets closer to Jin and Zaru. Pushing away everything he can, Zaru takes over for Jin. The white alpha lunges firmly and gives the boy a swift death.
     Disgust instantly fills within himself at the taste of the boy's blood. Zaru releases the body and bolts for Ryo's cell, nothing else matters to him at this moment. Praying to the Goddess that he holds in his vomit till he is hidden away from the rogues.
     Ryo turns her fierce glare to the pit master, growling before she turns and walks out of the ring. Signaling she is done for tonight. She walks in to see Zaru has shifted and is currently puking in the far corner.
     His skin pale and sweat is dappling his convulsing body. She rolls her eyes, hiding the twinge of pain at seeing her mate so disheveled.
     "They will send more middles now!" She growls angry with Zaru and Jin, she has to stay firm.
     He only feels disgust as he tries to speak, "We killed a child! I KILLED A CHILD RYO!!" Zaru screams just before he turns to puke again.
     "YOU'RE WRONG! The pup sitting by the gate is a child!" Ryo groans starting to regret her idea, "This world doesn't work like yours! In the ring those were middles. Half way through their forced shifts! Pups given to the pit master to attend his matches!"
     She snarls viciously once more, "You've killed so many shifted middles already! Why does it matter what form they are in!"
     Zaru freezes as Ryo paces in her cell, this blast of information yet another relavtion she rarely gives. He can't stop another wave of sickness from rolling through him. He quickly pushes her words out of his mind, unable to handle anymore right now.
     "Killing /them/ is not something I like doing either! Hesitation is a weakness though! Now they will send more against us tomorrow." She snarls angrily.
     "They said you never killed a child.. I have never killed a child till tonight!" Zaru growls and begins to pace himself, understanding why his mate does it so much when frustrated.
     "Rumors are lies more often then not." She states bluntly.
     Ryo wants to tell him that the wolves in cages are juveniles that went through a forced shift but the look in her mate's eyes have her bite her tongue tonight.
     "How many have you killed total?" Zaru ask, uncertainty lacing his tone.
     Ryo is unable to respond as she never counted and just starts to pace along the bars of her cell now. Her agitation growing as thoughts run rampant in her mind.
     She hasn't had to kill a middle in a long time, she understands a forced shift better then anyone. A range of unknown feelings build in her chest, remembering the look on her mate's face. Knowing Zaru hasn't had to deal with such things, Ryo whimpers for him for the first time.
     "Killing them is a mercy. The rogues kill the human spirit with years of pain, most middles end up shifting during a match. Their power increases for the first shift.. usually their last shift as well if their lucky..." A ripple spikes through Ryo, evidence of painful memories as she tries to calm her mate.
     Zaru takes in her words, looking over his mate. Realizing he wasn't thinking about Ryo at all. He reflects on his actions, his morals don't work here. His hesitation has now caused his mate great pain and more to come.
     Jin and Zaru enter a deep conversation within themselves, discussing the words Ryo spoke. Trying to wrap their minds around all the emotions they are experiencing rapidly as well.
     "*No wonder Ryo gets frustrated at home, emotions truly don't belong in her world.*" Zaru shakes his head, a dull ache budding.
     Suddenly there is a heavy knock on the door, pulling a snarl from Ryo. Zaru shifts instantly taking an intimidating stance, pushing everything else in his mind aside.
     Ryo laughs briefly at how he is mirroring her reflexively now and instead of standing stupidly behind her. She admires how strong Zaru is in this moment and is excited with the thought of how strong he can be fighting by her side.
     Ryo growls at the kneeling boy, who stands rapidly and opens the door. That weak male is back again, her annoyance is felt.
     She rolls her eyes, "Tomorrow another 3 rounds."
     The male just continues to stand there shuffling his feet while keeping his eyes on the ground. Ryo is getting angry and goes to snap but it's Zaru who snaps first. He steps towards the weak male intimidatingly.
     Interested in what her mate does next Ryo just remains rooted, a smirk dancing in her eyes. When the rogue doesn't speak, Jin snarls viciously this time. Startlingly the male right out of his skin.
     He stumbles backwards, "The Master of the Pit wants to know how long you plan to stay." The weak one rushes his words in one breathe..
     Ryo growls angerly that any dares question her."Till I decide to leave. If he has a problem he can face me in the pit tomorrow night!" Ryo snarls and steps forward stopping next to Jin, "LEAVE."
     The weak male squeaks and runs away, the boy closing the gate and going back to a submission pose.
     "Pup, fetch me a meal." She orders coldly.
     "Right away." he turns and hurriedly leaves, closing the door.
     Zaru shifts back, he rubs his elbows nervously wanting to ask Ryo a question. Sensing his curiosity Ryo looks over at his deep blue eyes.
     "Go on ask me your question." She sighs walking into her cell, she bites the chains and drags them out.
     "Can you... can you tell me... a bit about..your life here.. how the pits work?" Zaru fidgets his fingers, he doesn't like asking her questions like these.
     Ryo looks up at him as she drops the chains and walks back into the cell. She uses her tail to sweep the dust away and looks down at the worn spot.
     "You want to know me alittle more, then come look." Ryo tilts her head towards the dark corner of the cell.
     Zaru walks in and stands next to her curiously. He looks down and can clearly see the perfect outline of his mate worn into the soild stone. Looking harder he can even see the paw prints that run the length of the cell bars. Forever etched from her constant pacing.
     Zaru looks at the back wall where an anchor is bolted in, he sees the claw marks of relentless scratching. Her massive claws left desperate scrappings all around it.
     He looks through the bars, picturing seeing nothing but this barren cold room for years on end. Never feeling a breeze, never seeing the sky. He looks back at Ryo, if this cell looks this bad then what about the others she lived in..
     As if reading his mind Ryo speaks, "All my cells are like this..but all the arena's have a specialty that separates them."
     "Will you tell me more?" He steps closer to his mate, inter locking his fingers to keep from touching her.
     "Rogues bring offerings to pit masters, the better the offering the better the perk. Here, life is what you call money." Ryo snorts indignantly, something about her own statement bothering her.
     "I can remember a few other rings, one being where I first awakened and then the Sand Field which was my territory." Ryo continues to talk but doesn't look at Zaru, her gaze somewhere else entirely.
     "This one here is the Fire Ridge arena, middles are their preferred but shifted wolves are their best fighters." She chuckles darkly, her mood shifting again, "Since your here I'm sure our fights will be entertaining."
     "So then the sand field where I found you?" Zaru's tone light and low.
     "There I was the specialty, Alpha Raku's domain. We are currently in Alpha Flare's domain."
     "What about the others?" His tone still gentle, no louder then a whisper.
     "The Tree Top Plateau is Rogue Alpha Griz and their fighters specialty is armor. They have a metal working rogue that equips their fighters."
     Ryo moves her snout to her leg, "If you look here you can see where the silver claws got me in my first match there."
     Zaru looks lifting her fur carefully to reveal the scar, "And what of the domain you haven't been too?"
     "I only heard rumors amongst the gaurds, I never actually been there.." Ryo says sheepishly, "I wasn't allowed to go there.."
     "Do you know the name-"
     "Granite Peak over seen by the Master's brother.." She lets out a small growl.
     Zaru felt a wave of anger flare with that new information, that the monster who abused his mate has a brother! The soft knock at the door pulls their attention but Ryo already knew it was the pup.
     He steps in and places two chunks of meat infront of Ryo before backing up and resuming his position. Zaru wishing he could comfort the child, in packs children are the future. Treated with the utmost care and love.
     "Shift and eat, then we will sleep in the cell. If you need to release yourself you'll have to use the right corner, it is the only patch of dirt."
     Nodding getting the hint, bury the mess he left there. Ryo who isn'to hungry gives the whole chunk of her meat to the pup. Leaving to curl up in the cage, taking her regular spot.
     The pup rips the meat chunk in half and setting a section at the edge of the cell bars. Then he takes the other half and ducks out of the room silently.
     When Ryo didn't give a response to the meat left for her, Zaru shifts quickly. Eating hastily before grabbing Ryo's half and walking into the cell with it.
     He drops it and pushes it over to her, asking her to eat with his eyes. She sighs but sits up and eats it willingly, hoping her mate will settled down and let her sleep.