Chapter 7: Mer

CW: Contains brief, not-too-detailed depictions of injury and medical procedures (sewing wounds closed), references to blood, slight allusions to BDSM behaviors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 7: Mer

I frown at Sally's words, following her gaze. I can't see what she sees, but I can take her word for it. She wouldn't say that if she didn't believe it. "Does it look alive?"

"I can't tell. Not really. It's sort of just...bobbing there."

"Then probably not."

Xian's with her now, looking out at the ocean. "But if they are alive, we should help them...right?"

"Xian, we don't even know it's a body for sure. And getting close enough to easily get them back on the ship, especially if it truly isn't a body, would be a nuisance."

"But we shouldn't just leave them there to die. Captain Simone, you can't leave them there."

I sigh. He's looking at me, eyes pleading. I don't dislike helping people. Of course I don't. But it could be a trap, or someone we can't help and will have to throw back anyway. But I can't just tell him no. Not when he's looking at me like that. That makes me feel bad. "I can get decently close, but not right up to them or I risk injuring them further or sucking them under. If Sally thinks it's a body...We'll see about helping them. Good enough?"

Sally raises her spyglass once more, as I slightly adjust our course at her direction. Aiden and Ciden haven't ventured up on deck yet, which is surprising. Ciden, at least, I expect to be barreling up here to see what we're shouting about. And Aiden, I expect to join Ciden. Murphy's absence makes sense. He's not around unless he has stuff to do on deck.

"That's definitely a body. They look orange," Sally reports, "and white."

I frown at the odd description, then nod in Xian's direction. "You can dive in and grab them, we'll pull the ladder up with you and the person on it."

Xian looks away, gnawing on his lower lip. "I uh...can't swim."

"You...can't swim?"

"No, Captain. I...I can't."

No wonder he's so flighty when he's at the railing. "Sally can get them, then."

I don't have to look at her to imagine the death glare she's giving me, playful or not. "Don't volunteer me!"

I sigh, take a deep breath, then continue, "Sally, will you dive in to see if they're alive? And if they are, bring them back up? Xian and I will pull the ladder up for you so you don't have to climb."

"Thank you for asking," Sally says, nodding as she starts to undress.

Xian looks away, even though Sally is still wearing undergarments. So bashful. Perhaps he does like women, and that is why he gets so embarrassed when Sally disrobes? Or is he really just trying to be that polite?

"I'll get us just a bit closer, then you can go see if they're alive."

"Aye." She's already hovering at the rail, ready to dive. I do not bother to watch as she jumps, but I hear the splash moments later. It's hard to hear her, but I can just barely make out her shout of "They're a mer!"

James' men have been around, then.

"Xian, go and get the twins to help us pull them up."

Xian nods curtly, adding on a verbal agreement as he darts below. The way he says 'yes, captain' feels different. I frown at the thought, chastising myself under my breath and re-focusing on the task at hand. Ciden and Aiden are at his heels when he comes back, Ciden rubbing at his eyes and Aiden cradling a cracked plant pot in one arm.