No Second Chances

University professor Cora Glass may be an expert on red/green colorblindness. But when her walking red flag of an ex shows up on campus, is she smart enough to say no to a second chance?

***

Three years ago, scientist Cora Glass met a stranger over cocktails in an airport hotel lobby. His name was Jamie Bowen: an irresistible charmer with a talent for impersonating men he'd never be—and the only man who ever succeeded in breaking Cora's heart.

Their fiery relationship flamed out long ago, but forgetting about Jamie is a different story. Seeking a change of scenery, Cora accepts a junior faculty position at prestigious Wallingford University and throws herself into her research with single-minded focus. She couldn't be less interested in the campus gossip surrounding the hot new professor who just joined the English department. That is, until she sees him, and he turns out to be none other than... her ex?

But the man who won her heart three years ago was a high school dropout, not a PhD. Jamie could only be at Wallingford now as an impostor—and Cora's determined not to let him drag her into whatever game he's playing.

***

ONC 2023 Contest Prompts:

51. The problem with red flags is that I'm attracted to them.
63. A rivalry between two coworkers has unforeseen consequences.
6. Can we go back to the start when we were all strangers in the dark?