JO - The Beginning

Cold.

The water was cold as it poured down on me, sharp and stinging like a thousand tiny nettle whips. My hands fumbled for the shower knobs, my senses seeking to remember how the bathroom wall looked and felt. If I did not have warm water, the ice in my spirit might very well break through my skin.

In the accursed darkness where I had slipped into, nothing was impossible. I could die there, or feel the greatest pain that had surmounted death itself.

I did not feel like opening my eyes.

Not yet.

No.

It should not be like this.

My fingers froze on the tiles. I tilted my head forward, and the wall was even colder through the skin on my face.

Scarred.

Damn.

I felt numb and powerless.

Was this the man I had turned into, a shell so empty that only ice and pain could bear to live in his heart?

Ore wa...

I did not know.

I did not know anything anymore.

What was right. What I needed. Who I was.

What I lived for.

What I have left to live and fight for.

There was Hagakure, so sedate and untouched that whenever I step into its woods I cheat myself into thinking that I might someday find my own peace, like the people in that seemingly timeless sanctuary had through the purity in their hearts.

So here I walk this other world of stone mazes, of rising chrome and steel as sharp and majestic as the finest blade. A world of cruel beauty that drew me into its embrace, in my need for Hagakure's salvation.

But damn.

For me.

For me there was nothing.

I live in the cloak of ten generations of greatness and power, fulfilling an elusive destiny under the mask of shadows. A warrior burdened with secrets that most would kill for.

Sometimes I wish they would.

If they could.

In the shadows, after all, they could not see.

In the shadows, I wait for the pain and cold and forever listen to the endless taunt of its mysteries.

In the shadows, I lived.

The rocks had a slight sting against his feet, as he defied gravity and seduced the laws of nature

The rocks had a slight sting against his feet, as he defied gravity and seduced the laws of nature. He had the strength to resist reality itself.