Chapter 10 - I'd Do Anything For You

You took a bandage from your backpack and slowly rolled it up to reveal the wound beneath it. It was a fairly deep gash, but luckily it didn't seem to be bleeding too much anymore.

"This is going to hurt, Harv." He gave you a weak smile, knowing what you had to do. You took your spare jumper and applied pressure to the leg to stop any additional bleeding whilst you rummaged with your other hand through your bag to find your bottle of water. Once you found it, you unscrewed the cap and removed the jumper, pouring the water onto the wound to clean it. Harvey winced in pain, throwing his head back with his eyes closed tight. "It'll be okay, just stay with me, do not pass out." You whispered as you began to unroll the bandage.

"I am sorry, I should have trusted your ability." Harvey muttered, leaning his head against the rock behind him. "I got so worried- I- I just wanted to make sure you were safe."

"Don't apologise, I understand." You mumbled as you carefully wrapped the bandage around his wound. You did your best to be gentle, but even the slightest touch made him flinch. You could see the pain etched on his face and you knew that the wound would of been stinging. Once you had finished dressing his wound, you gently helped Harvey to his feet. You put your arm around his shoulders in order to support him and slowly made your way out of the mine. As you walked, you talked to him softly, trying to keep him calm and focused.

You finally broke daylight, Harvey seeming exhausted.

Dusk was approaching, and you slowly walked Harvey to his clinic. You even made sure to take breaks every so often to ensure that Harvey didn't overexert himself even more than he already had.

"I am so lucky you found me Evangeline." Harvey sighed as you walked.

"Harvey, what the hell were you doing? You know from my previous experience that the mines are not a safe place for someone who doesn't understand them." You firmly spoke, worried beyond belief.

"Well exactly, after hearing you had gone back down again I freaked out. I couldn't bare to think of you getting hurt again, not like that." He frowned.

"It's okay, don't worry about it now... You are one silly fool." You weakly smiled, to which he reciprocated.

You arrived back at the clinic, Harvey unlocked the door and immediately sat down in his office to tend to the wound himself with proper equipment. He slowly unwrapped the bandage and hissed in pain once again as you watched from the seat opposite, offering to help in any way possible. Harvey began to redress the wound, applying a proper anti-septic to the area before bandaging it.

Once he had finished, he sighed and gently tried to move his leg from the rest.

"Let me take you to your room." You insisted, offering a shoulder to lean on.

You assisted Harvey up the stairs. He seemed to limp the whole way. You could feel his weight leaning on you,  so you adjusted your stance to help him maintain his balance. "Take it easy," you said softly, "we're almost there."

As Harvey reached the top of the stairs with your help, he began to limp to his sofa, falling in force to the seat below. Pulling his tie loose and leaning back in relief, he closed his eyes, his leg extended in front of him. You walked to the sink to pour Harvey a glass of water. He began to unbutton his shirt which was somewhat ripped and dirty, revealing his chest.

"I am impressed Evangeline, it really seemed like you knew what you were doing in that mine." Harvey added, his mood seeming slightly lifted.

"I just had to act fast, survival instincts kicked in." You replied, bringing Harvey the glass.

"Me, the medical professional, didn't even need to advise you, you just knew what to do..." He softly spoke, taking a sip of the water. Harvey paused, his eyes wondering to you in front of him. "I- I could of di-" Harvey began, but before he could complete his sentence, you sat down next to Harvey and put your arm around him. You felt him relax a little, his cheeks turning red as he began to lean his head on your shoulder. You could feel his heartbeat slowing down, and his breathing becoming steadier, like the anxiety was wearing off.

"I'd do anything for you, so I don't regret it." Harvey sighed, his cheeks blushing showing embarrassment. You smiled in response, not feeling as if you needed to add anything.

You held Harvey like that for a while, letting him rest and recover. You felt a connection stronger than titanium between the two of you in this moment, acting as if the previous encounter at the Luau hadn't even happened. You had both been through a harrowing experience in the mines, and the fact that you had come to Harvey's rescue like he had to yours only deepened your bond. You knew you couldn't ignore the way that Harvey made you really feel. As you gazed into his eyes, you saw a vulnerability and tenderness that touched your heart in a way no other could. You had always been drawn to his kindness and intelligence, but now you saw him in a new light, a much more vulnerable light.

As you sat together, talking and laughing, it was as though the rest of the world had fallen away. You told jokes to try and lighten the mood and get Harvey to feel relaxed after the mines, although you had done that already by just being there with him. In that moment, there was only the two of you, bound together by the shared experience and a growing attraction.

You gently stroked his hair as you both closed your eyes. You both sat together on the sofa, your bodies pressed up against each other as you drifted off to sleep. Although you were looking after him, you ended up sleeping on him mostly whilst on the sofa, his large arms enveloping you closer him.

There was no going back now, was there...?