Chapter 13 - Is This It?

"Harvey..." You began. Your drunken state made you feel invincible in this moment.

You knew what you had to do, you had to confess your feelings, now or never.

"Well, we're here." Harvey's sudden interruption jolted you back to reality. You looked up to see the familiar sight of your farmhouse, illuminated by the moonlight. You let out a sigh, feeling both relieved and disappointed at the same time.

"Thanks for walking me home," you said, your voice still shaking from the emotional outburst.

"Of course, Evangeline. You know I'm always here for you," he replied with a soft smile. "I just wanted to say too, thank you for your help the other day. I owe you massively."

"It's fine, looks like we both saved one another." You giggled, taking a step towards the door. You found your key in your coat pocket. "Let me help." Harvey insisted, remembering you previously struggling with the door. You smiled and stepped aside remembering too, allowing Harvey to open the door for you. He took the key from you and inserted it into the lock, turning it with ease. The door opened and he held it open for you to step inside.

"Wait." You began, looking at Harvey as he prepared to leave. "Why don't you just come in for a bit, I'd love to show you what I've done to the place since I arrived." You knew this was a stupid idea, but you didn't care. You weren't a fan of guests, but today you made an exception. Harvey seemed surprised at your gesture and replied with a smile. "Only if you are sure." Harvey followed you inside, taking in the cozy warmth of your home. He took off his coat and hung it up on a hook by the door before turning to you.

Harvey scanned the space around him. You watched as his eyes wandered across the room, taking in the small but tidy kitchen, the old-fashioned wood stove, and the modest living area with a well-loved leather sofa and armchair you had bought second-hand.

"This is really nice, Evangeline," he complimented, still looking around. "You've done a great job with the place, especially for the short time you have been here."

"Thank you," you replied, feeling a warmth in your chest. You had put a lot of effort into fixing up the old farmhouse since you had moved in and making it a cosy and loving space, it felt good to have someone finally appreciate it. Harvey made his way to the couch and sat down, and you sat next to him. You began to talk about the little changes you had made to the place, pointing out the new curtains you had sewn and the refurbished oak dining table that now sat in the corner. Harvey listened intently.

He had also noticed the photos on the wall, the photos of you at your graduation and selfies with your friends that you left in Zuzu City. He noticed how some of the frames were empty, and wondered if there were photos that you had taken down because they reminded you too much of your old life.

All of a sudden, an inescapable feeling of nausea washed over you. "Oh god, I think I am going to be sick!" You jumped up from the sofa, quickly moving towards the direction of the bathroom. You stumbled a little, the alcohol making your movements unsteady. Harvey immediately jumped up as well, following you into the bathroom to make sure you were okay.

You managed to make it to the toilet just in time, your body heaving as you threw up the contents of your stomach. Harvey held your hair back, rubbing your back in a soothing manner. "It's okay honey, I'm here." He reassured in a loving nature that you weren't used too.

After a few minutes, you finished throwing up and leaned back against the wall, breathing heavily, embarrassed beyond belief. "I'm so sorry, Harvey." You said, feeling embarrassed and weak. Harvey shook his head, his expression full of concern whilst knelt beside you, his arm on your shoulder. "Don't apologise, it's just your body voiding the alcohol in your system." You appreciated Harvey's kind words, but still couldn't shake the feeling of humiliation. It wasn't like you to lose control like this, especially not in front of someone you cared for. You looked up at Harvey, feeling vulnerable and exposed...