Chapter 15 - Head or Heart?

"No need to apologize," Harvey said with a kind smile. "I'm glad you like the flowers." His cheeks also now somehow redder than before. You weren't sure what to say or do next, but you didn't want him to leave just yet. "Would you like to come inside for a cup of hot chocolate?" you asked, gesturing towards your cozy home.

Harvey's face lit up at the offer. "I would love that," he said, following you inside...

Placing your flowers in a vase, you quickly set a pot of hot chocolate on the stove and turned to Harvey who had taken a seat at the table. "So, how have you been?" you asked, trying to break the awkward silence. Harvey smiled as he pet Milo from underneath the table, "I've been doing well, although this winter seems to be particularly cold." Harvey sniffled. "You look well bundled up for the cold though, Doctor." You giggled, admiring the amount of layers he was actually wearing. You watched him as he slipped his coat off to reveal a dark green knitted jumper underneath that hugged his broad shoulders, a collared shirt underneath in classic Harvey fashion.

You smiled, pouring the hot chocolate into two mugs. You added a few marshmallows to each, stirring them in until they melted. You placed the mug in front of Harvey. "Thank you Eva." Harvey beamed, taking a long sip from the hot chocolate. "Your hot chocolate is delicious," Harvey said, taking a sip from his mug, a slight chuckle in his tone, "is everything you do perfect?" He beamed in a playful manner. "Trust me, I am far from perfect..." You giggled. Harvey just stared at you, almost longingly, his eyes full of compassion for you as if you were the only person in existence to him.

"I guess it's Flu season now, right?" You questioned, tucking your knees up onto your chair. "Yes, so make you sure you bundle up warm when outside, it won't take much for you to become unwell in this sort of winter air." He smiled, his medical side shining through.

"What's your favourite season?" You questioned, keenly eyeing Harvey for a response. He seemed to ponder the question for a moment, his eyes staring off into the distance. "Hmm, that's a tough one," he finally said, returning his gaze to you. "I would have to say autumn. I love how the leaves change colour and fall to the ground. It's a reminder that change can be beautiful." He chuckled to himself, "that was strangely poetic."

You giggled in agreement."Change is cool when you think about it." You replied, hiding your sunken feeling from overthinking Harvey's last sentence. "Change is necessary." He responded, his eyes smiling. "Why do you think I occasionally wear a blue jumper instead of a green one?" You giggled, Harvey beaming at you as you laughed along to his jokes.

In these quiet moments, Harvey's bubbly and funny personality shone through, one you didn't see when he was playing Doctor.

The conversation continued and you and Harvey discussed everything from your favourite foods to your worst and most embarrassing moments. But you found that it was the comfortable silence that followed that made your heart race. You both sat there, sipping the hot chocolate you had made, simply just enjoying each other's company. The evening very quickly ticked on and the both of you had not realised how late it was truly getting.

"I spilt red wine all over my dates yellow dress, I never went on another date after that." You laughed at his words, finding his story telling nature hilarious. "You are such a nerd." You giggled, trying to playfully wind him up, but he didn't seem to fight it, if anything he embraced it with a chuckle.

Suddenly, Milo jumped onto Harvey's lap, breaking your conversation. Harvey laughed and stroked Milo's fuzzy coat. "He's such a friendly dog," Harvey said. "He is," you replied, smiling at the sight of Milo snuggling up to Harvey. "He only does that to people he likes, so he must like you." You smiled, Harvey's beaming facial expression answering for himself.